BT Cancellation Charges Reduction????

Options
Does anyone actually know if BT have reduced their cancellation charges yet? I've read a lot about Ofcom persuading the big companies to reduce how much they charge for early cancellation. All the info I can find, here and elsewhere, simply says BT will be reducing their charges in October. Have they actually done what they said they will? Having checked their on-line T & C's it's still coming up with the same as it always has.
I'm about to lose my job, and I desperately need to get out of my contract. I've tried speaking to them, I've complained, emailed and instant chatted to try and get some help from them but to no avail. One really charming operator even told me it wasn't his problem so he didn't know what I expected him to do about it!!!!
Any advice would be gratefully received. :(

Comments

• Brian_The_Lion
    Options
    ratbag666 wrote: »
    Does anyone actually know if BT have reduced their cancellation charges yet? I've read a lot about Ofcom persuading the big companies to reduce how much they charge for early cancellation. All the info I can find, here and elsewhere, simply says BT will be reducing their charges in October. Have they actually done what they said they will? Having checked their on-line T & C's it's still coming up with the same as it always has.
    I'm about to lose my job, and I desperately need to get out of my contract. I've tried speaking to them, I've complained, emailed and instant chatted to try and get some help from them but to no avail. One really charming operator even told me it wasn't his problem so he didn't know what I expected him to do about it!!!!
    Any advice would be gratefully received. :(

I asked this via email to BT in september and was told
    I've had a look at this for you and I can see that there is about 7 months left for both your line and broadband contract. If you cancel your services whilst in term then the cancellation charge is the rental for both services up until the end of the contract.

Im planning on giving them a call tomorrow to sort out a billing issue so Ill ask the question again and see what response I get.
  • Brian_The_Lion
    Options
    Just called them to ask the question about cancellation and was told it would be £124.61 - issued as a final bill.

I have 175 days left on my contract so it's approx £20.75 a month in cancellation charges, which isnt bad seeing as that's less than my £24.99 BB subscription alone!
  • ratbag666
    Options
    As I moved at the beginning of September, I am locked into an 18 month contract on the phone line. They would not give me a 12 month contract. The choice I was given was take the 18 month contract or we will take it that you have cancelled. At the time the cancellation cost would have been £293.00 which I simply could not afford. So, feeling like I had been left with no-choice, I took the the 18 month contract. My BT BB 12 month contract, as I understand it, was transferred which would mean it ends around the 15th Dec this year. Cancellation fee for Option 3 unlimited would be £11.75 for each month of the remaining contract period. My phoneline would therefore now be £3.00 per month x 17 months remaining contract. As I've just had a bill, can I also assume I'd have my advance line rental and BB monthly charge refunded if I cancelled the contract now? It's quite confusing and considering how bad my financial circumstances are about to get I just need someone to clarify I'm right. Thanks in advance.
  • dgtazzman
    dgtazzman Posts: 1,140 Forumite
    Options
    The line rental/calling package charges have been dropped, listed as having taken place about 2 weeks ago on their site (takes a bit of digging to find it though). They're GBP2.50 for each month now, a little more if you have the full calling plan. Still more than the GBP2.0 a month they promised OFCOM, but a lot better than the GBP7.50 they used to charge.

There have been no changes in their other cancellation charges though, they remain imo stupidly high.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure