Anyone used Chips Away please?

Options
hethmar
hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
OH opened the drivers door of our year old Golf and caught the edge on a metal fence. Its only a small scratch may be half an inch at most but it has removed the paint down to white (on a red matt car). There is also a tiny scratch next to it on the door, less than half an inch but again, down to white.

OH has got a VW paint pen but Im dreading him doing the job (shades of Father Ted's raffle car) so I was wondering if the Chips Away people actually are as good as their ads?

Comments

• Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    On a non-metallic car, the touch up paint should work a treat.

As for chips away, never used em... Don't know anyone who has... Sorry :/
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • maple41
    maple41 Posts: 153 Forumite
    Options
    Chips Away are only as good as the operator, as they are a franchise. Have had a good experience with one, but my local one has just started with no previous experience so would perhaps be loath to use him. They are very good at matching the paint colour, but much of it is down to the colour, where it is on the car and the preparation. I used my local main dealer body shop last time and they did a fantastic job at a similar price to Chips Away. Suggest that you at least get a quote, you may be pleasantly surprised.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,137 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    maple41 wrote: »
    Chips Away are only as good as the operator, as they are a franchise.

I'd agree with that. I've used the Cambridge franchise and they were excellent - they took out a key scratch and a dent so well you couldn't tell they were ever there. I've heard mixed review of others. You need to ask around locally.

Similarly, there are some excellent "back street" scratch repair companies while others are con artists.
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    A neighbour has used 'chips away' he must have thought it was good, as he had them back for a second car.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    maple41 wrote: »
    I used my local main dealer body shop last time and they did a fantastic job at a similar price to Chips Away.

That's because they use chips away or a similar outfit and then put a little profit on top ;)

Dealerships sell cars, they wouldn't be equipped for these repairs as they'd have to permanently employ specially trained staff who'd not have much work to do for most of the time.

Positive point however is that if you weren't happy with the job, the dealership would be inclined fight in your corner :)
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,690 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have used chips away. They did an OK job. As you probably know it is a franchise and workmanship is down to the skill of the franchisee, there is a very basic training course and some franchisees will be better than others.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 31 October 2010 at 1:36PM
    Options
    Well, I sent an email to the local bloke and got one back saying

"Unfortunately doors (and bonnets) are a bit of a problem for us as we cannot respray them due to the size of them. "

So, may be my local franchisee isnt very experienced? I think I will have to have a go with the paint stick. Its such a tiny scratch surely the stick cant make too much of a mess? :eek:
  • themull1
    themull1 Posts: 4,299 Forumite
    Options
    I used them years ago when i lived in sunderland, they did a fantastic job.
  • ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    Options
    I have used them for getting scuffs off alloys and also for a stone chip on the bonnet and the odd scratch on the car. They didn't need to respray anything and the man did it outside my house. As they are a franchise it might be worth seeing if there are other 'chips away' operators in your area. Dents8 seem to do a similar sort of work.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,690 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    hethmar wrote: »
    Well, I sent an email to the local bloke and got one back saying

"Unfortunately doors (and bonnets) are a bit of a problem for us as we cannot respray them due to the size of them. "

So, may be my local franchisee isnt very experienced? I think I will have to have a go with the paint stick. Its such a tiny scratch surely the stick cant make too much of a mess? :eek:

What a joker, you would do well to stear clear of him:rotfl:

Try the paint stick or an aerosol. It is tricky but not impossible to get a perfect DIY job. If you make a mess you may have to have the door painted. So what you will be no worse off than you are now.

You may want to use plastic filler before you touch up;).
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport