🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Santander Zero CC problems - how do I call them?!

Options
I know, Santander problem, shock horror! :eek:

I took out a Santander Zero CC for the 0% balance transfer offer. Fortunately, I'm now in a position where I'm able to repay the entire balance before the 0% deal is up. This proved to be harder than I thought.

I called the number on the back of the card, which turned out to be MBNA, not Santander. They told me they used to work with Abbey but have severed links since they rebranded as Santander and they put me through to the right number (without giving me the right number). I was then told by Santander I couldn't pay it off as you can only make the minimum payment by phone, not overpayments.

I went into my local Santander branch and again was told they wouldn't take my payment, only minimum payments were allowed. I was offered the option to give her a cheque which she would post off for me but I didn't want to do this. Instead I made the payment via instant transfer from my NatWest current account.

So now the card is paid off and I want to close the account as I don't want to have unused credit showing on my credit report. I remembered that the phone number on the card is wrong. I looked on the Santander website for an alternative number, which I've just called, and she tells me I've called the wrong number and gives me the number from the back of my card. I explained that I'd tried that number and it wasn't a Santander number. She just kept repeating that number. I asked to speak to a supervisor but noone was available. I asked to be put through to complaints but you can only complain in writing.

:mad:

I just want to close my account! (Even more so after all this!) Does anyone know the right number?

Comments

• Hax
    Hax Posts: 890 Forumite
    Options
    Plenty of numbers on the Santander Cards site. Here's a couple of links for you:

clicky-clicky and clicky-clicky

Hope the number you need is there! :)
    My posts are my own opinions based on my experiences and info gathered from sites such as this.
    They are not a substitute for professional financial advice - but you knew that already didn't you? ;)
    VSP 2011 - Member #25 - Started 6th December 2010 - Total As Of 4th May 2011 (21 weeks in!) - £323.67/£500 - So far so good!
  • Melancholie
    Options
    Thanks Hax. The second link is the same one I used earlier today, which has two incorrect numbers on it. The first has those two numbers as well but also has a third to call to activate the card. I'll try that one tomorrow; hopefully it's not just an automated system for activations only. Fingers crossed!
  • magpiecottage
    Options
    Have a look here. There are details of how to repay by online banking or where to send a cheque.
  • Hax
    Hax Posts: 890 Forumite
    Options
    Just fished out the welcome leaflet I got with my Zero card a couple of months ago. The customer services number in that is given as: 0845 602 1582 and seems to be the number I should call for almost anything

On the back of the leaflet, the number of their complaints team is listed as: 0845 600 6014
    My posts are my own opinions based on my experiences and info gathered from sites such as this.
    They are not a substitute for professional financial advice - but you knew that already didn't you? ;)
    VSP 2011 - Member #25 - Started 6th December 2010 - Total As Of 4th May 2011 (21 weeks in!) - £323.67/£500 - So far so good!
  • Melancholie
    Options
    magpiecottage, I've paid it off. I want to close the account. I have to call them for that.

Hax, 0845 602 1582 is the MBNA number. It's on the back of the card too. Thanks for the complaints number, I haven't seen that one before. Another to try in the morning (if that doesn't turn out to be MBNA as well!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport