We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Can I get cheaper deals on gas/elec meter supply?

Hi all,

I've just moved into a new place and both gas and electric are on key 'pay as you go' meters. I wondered if there is any way to change supplier/negotiate a better deal, or if anyone has any ideas/experience with this.

Thanks, and kind regards,

Nicola

Comments

  • xbrenx
    xbrenx Posts: 962 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    As I believe it, you will probably have to stay on the prepayment meter for a little while (few months) to establish yourself with this supplier before they will let you change. If you were with the same supplier in your old address that may be a different matter.

    I may be wrong, there's a chance I'm right ;)
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,761 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    What do you want to do? You can change to a cheaper supplier and keep the paymeters or ask for the meters to be changed to ordinary credit meters. British Gas will change them for free, others charge and some won't change them for a year.
  • Xbrenx, thank you. Will investigate. T0rt0ise: frankly, I'm not sure. I know the last tenant was paying around £50 a week (yes, per week) for power, and am just keen to get the best deal I can. I've never lived in a place with key meters before, so just don't have a clue. I know power is more expensive this way (which seems unfair, as the supplier gets their money in advance, instead of in arrears when billed). I'm not sure if I'm just stuck with what I have, whether different suppliers compete on PAYG rates, or how to check, but though MSE would be a good place to start! Didn't know there were different kinds of meters (as in 'ordinary credit meters' as opposed to supplier-specific? Not sure...) but any advice to a PAYG novice would be very welcome. Thanks again both, and kindest, Nicola
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.