We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Urgent advice needed re Credit Card
critchley999
Posts: 32 Forumite
in Credit cards
I need to borrow £1000 urgently and quickly. I can't get a loan as I'm a pensioner but my partner is working so I have my pension to myself and can afford the repayments.
I don't want to pay the "cash" rate to borrow it on my credit card but a friend who owns a shop has offered to put it through as a "purchase" transaction and give me the money.
I've got doubts about whether this is going to cause a problem for him? and is it illegal? I don't want to get him into trouble.
Also I don't want my partner to know. Would the credit card company phone up about such an unusually large purchase?
I don't want to pay the "cash" rate to borrow it on my credit card but a friend who owns a shop has offered to put it through as a "purchase" transaction and give me the money.
I've got doubts about whether this is going to cause a problem for him? and is it illegal? I don't want to get him into trouble.
Also I don't want my partner to know. Would the credit card company phone up about such an unusually large purchase?
0
Comments
-
What the shop is offering to do is a bit dodgy, but might be legal (or not?)**, as it is upto the shop owner what he does with his money.
He is effectively selling you a 'nothing' and charging you £1000 for it.
He is doing you a BIG favour though, because that 'nothing' cost him £0, so it is all profit and therefore he will be paying taxes and VAT on the whole £1000 value of that 'nothing' he sold you.
**could be construed as Deception or Fraud, but the credit card company wouldn't find out.British Ex-pat in British Columbia!0 -
He is simply going to charge your card for a purchase which was not made in his shop, he'll still get his money & you get your cash....it is possible but as being legal, I doubt it....will he get into trouble, I don't think so0
-
Oh, thankyou. I've been worried sick about this and you've put my mind at rest xx0
-
critchley999 wrote: »Oh, thankyou. I've been worried sick about this and you've put my mind at rest xx
why are you worried sick?
you can avoid being worried sick simply by obeying the rulesEU tariff on agricultual product 12.2%
some dairy products 42.1% cloths 11.4%
EU Clinical Trials Directive stops medical advances0 -
-
Does this necessarily follow? I'm a pensioner and I've had interest-free loans granted since I retired.critchley999 wrote: »I can't get a loan as I'm a pensioner [...]Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
:coffee:0 -
Fruit_and_Nut_Case wrote: »Does this necessarily follow? I'm a pensioner and I've had interest-free loans granted since I retired.
Oh, right - I didn't think they would lend if you weren't employed. Thanks for the info, hopefully I won't find myself in this position again but if I do I will bear that in mind.
This was a case of speed and secrecy as I didn't want my other half to know about it but I told him in the end and he went ballistic first off and then offered to lend it himself - lol.0 -
critchley999 wrote: »Oh, right - I didn't think they would lend if you weren't employed. Thanks for the info, hopefully I won't find myself in this position again but if I do I will bear that in mind.
This was a case of speed and secrecy as I didn't want my other half to know about it but I told him in the end and he went ballistic first off and then offered to lend it himself - lol.
I find myself thinking why you didn't you ask him in the first place? I'm unemployed at the moment and my other half would be the first person to know if I needed a loan. Is there other issues at play here?0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards