We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

I am fed up

I am with Thameswey energy and my bills are very high there is no other choice as we can not change our provider as it is shared.. i cant even compare them to other energy providers to see how expensive they are.. i am a pensioner and am finding it very difficult to cope with the expense of it all I am only on a very small basic pension with a little pension credit it seems that the major part of my money goes on energy bills just wish i could sleep through the winter..

Comments

  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Well, as a pensioner your minimum income is £576 per month. If the 'major part of your money goes on energy bills' then that means you are spending £288 per month on average, including summer months when heating is off. This I doubt.

    If you are spending £3,500 a year on fuel then flit.
  • my income from my pensions actually is £520 per month .. what I meant was my main bills including my energy bills takes most of my money but thanks for your reply
  • renegade
    renegade Posts: 1,282 Forumite
    You should get the heating allowance in your circumstances, annually £250.00 from the government. If you don't then I advise you to apply for it, ask the Age concern people they will give you your rights and tell you how to apply.
    You live..You learn.:)
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    reneblu wrote: »
    my income from my pensions actually is £520 per month .. what I meant was my main bills including my energy bills takes most of my money but thanks for your reply

    £520 every four weeks is the same as £576 per calendar month. A pensioner is entitled to double the income of someone in their fifties. What are all the other bills that you pay that mean you can not afford to pay your energy bills? Have you put money aside over summer?

    What is your consumption annually and how much does it cost?
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,759 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    KimYeovil wrote: »
    What are all the other bills that you pay that mean you can not afford to pay your energy bills? Have you put money aside over summer?
    I wouldn't bother answering if I were you Reneblu, he/she goes around this forum slagging everyone off.

    I know how you feel. I'm not yet a pensioner but am not earning just now so am watching my savings drain away. The high cost of fuel just now is frightening.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,857 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    t0rt0ise wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother answering if I were you Reneblu, he/she goes around this forum slagging everyone off.

    I know how you feel. I'm not yet a pensioner but am not earning just now so am watching my savings drain away. The high cost of fuel just now is frightening.


    Not a very nice thing to say about anybody, Kim is usually very helpul and has helped me on more than one occasion.

    Youre post is the most unhelpful one on here.
    And it was a valid question anyway.

    You really should apologise, you know.

    OP your heating allowance will be paid next month, that should go someway to help you through the winter months.

    Put heavier curtains up if you can, door curtains also help cut heating costs down.
    Only boil as much water in the kettle as you need.
    Wash up once a day.
    There are countless ways you can cut down fuel consumption.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,759 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    I beg to differ. Asking someone if they put money aside over summer is totally irrelevant and obviously a dig. Sometimes sympathy is useful.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,857 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    t0rt0ise wrote: »
    I beg to differ. Asking someone if they put money aside over summer is totally irrelevant and obviously a dig. Sometimes sympathy is useful.

    Wow, you seem to have a persecution complex, how on earth do you come to the conclusion it was a dig.
    You still made a nasty comment about a o long time respected member of MSE. I was close to reporting it for abuse, you need to read the forum rules missus.

    And sympathy does not help pay the bills, practical help does.
    Nothing you said has been remotely helpful.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,857 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    reneblu wrote: »
    I am with Thameswey energy and my bills are very high there is no other choice as we can not change our provider as it is shared.. i cant even compare them to other energy providers to see how expensive they are.. i am a pensioner and am finding it very difficult to cope with the expense of it all I am only on a very small basic pension with a little pension credit it seems that the major part of my money goes on energy bills just wish i could sleep through the winter..

    If you are on basic state pension and pension credit have you checked to see if you are eligible for any other benefits.

    Have a look at entitledto.com or ring up the DWP and check.
    Thousands of pensioners are not claiming benefits they are entitled to and you could be one of them. Receiving pension credits often opens other doors to help. You may be eligible for help with your rent and council tax. Are you getting the 25% discount if you live on your own.
    Please come back and tell us how you get on or if you need any more help.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.