Talk Talk,Broadband Package. 200,000 unconnected customers.

Options
jhp
jhp Posts: 2,342 Forumite
[Strong demand for Carphone Warehouse's broadband offer means the retailer's initiative will cost it £20m more than originally expected.
The firm has had problems dealing with what it said was "unprecedented" consumer reaction to the new service.

It has received 625,000 applications for its integrated phone and broadband offer since April but 200,000 broadband customers still remain unconnected.

Costs relating to the offer are set to rise from £50m to £70m this year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6039316.stm

Comments

• Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    200,00 out of 625,000 is about 32%!

With the current 'results' of the MSE survey - in which, at the time of typing, 14.49% of those who have responded had said they were 'still suffering major issues' and 6.07% said they 'were still stuck in a mire of delay' - indicating 20.56% of potential subscribers are dissatisfiied, that must mean about a quarter of punters have been seriously let down.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Heinz, you missed out over 10% that have cancelled

Overall it looks like about a third are happy, a third are ok now after problems, and a third unhappy
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    redux wrote:
    Heinz, you missed out over 10% that have cancelled
    Good point.

Either way, Charles Dunstone should be ashamed of himself if a third, a quarter or only a fifth of customers are dissatisfied.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Merlin_of_Camelot
    Options
    Heinz wrote:
    Good point.

Either way, Charles Dunstone should be ashamed of himself if a third, a quarter or only a fifth of customers are dissatisfied.

Yes ihe should be ashamed of himself! It is a shame he revolutionised the broadband market with free broadband. Next time I'll tell him to shut up and everybody can carry on paying their £240-£360 a year for it!
  • jhp
    Options
    Yes ihe should be ashamed of himself! It is a shame he revolutionised the broadband market with free broadband. Next time I'll tell him to shut up and everybody can carry on paying their £240-£360 a year for it!

All that he has done is create the biggest PR disaster since Hoover,by launching this poorly planned not so free offer,and still has the audacity to continue to promote it even whilst thousands are waiting connection.

Dont be surprised if people vote on their feet once their contracts are up.
  • alzeebub
    alzeebub Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    We signed up for Talk3 Option a cpl of weeks back and were given a bband 'go live' date of October 25th.

I assume we're in with that 200k...
    "The reasonable man adapts to the world,
    The unreasonable man adapts the world to himself,
    Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
  • jhp
    Options
    alzeebub wrote:
    We signed up for Talk3 Option a cpl of weeks back and were given a bband 'go live' date of October 25th.

I assume we're in with that 200k...

Yes i assume it includes anybody at whatever stage they have reached.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It isn't actually free - they charge for two products bundled together, and not many people have been paying £30 a month recently.

When CPW and others are charging £15 or less for a combination of line rental, broadband and free calls, then say that the market has been revolutionised. £21 to £23 at the moment is not cheaper than other options
  • Mike_by_the_Sea
    Options

Good point Merlin, it's a real shame that success brings such problems. I think that Talktalk have made the other providers sit up and do something. It certainly got Utility Warehouse moving. :D
    Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught - Sir Winston Churchill
  • acezing
    acezing Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    success brings such problems. :D

What success is that?, have i missed something.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure