We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Sapling Advice Needed

Options
Hi, I applied for one of the free saplings that were being given away by Velvet Tissue. I had a Rowan sapling arrive today (looking a bit worse for wear) but minus any planting insructions. It looked a bit feeble so my husband put it in a plant pot with some compost and gave it a water. Please can anyone tell me if saplings can be killed off by frost this time of year if we put it outside, or is it ok to leave it in it's large pot until it gets stronger. Thanks in advance.
2013: Interflora Vouchers, Christmas Decorations, NNUK goody bag, thermos flask, macwet gloves

Comments

• Dustykitten
    Dustykitten Posts: 16,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It will look the worse for wear it has travelled and is going into dormancy for winter.

I'd leave the pot outside, maybe in a slightly protected place. Water sparingly over winter - only if it gets really dry and see how it goes in the spring. I've got several 1-3 year old trees in pots which we have grown from seeds/pips/nuts and they are all fine and have been outside permanently.
    The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport