Help and advice please - Newbie!

Options
Hello all :j

Ok ive been a lurker before and now i need some good advice

Ok in 2001 i took out an account with barclays while i was at uni, they offered me £3000 o/draft and being a poor student i took it. Anyway to cut a long story short they closed my account just this side of -£3000. I was miffed and it really messed me up. So i thought screw them, i left AND NEVER contacted them again. This is now 5 years later and ive moved house etc since. I received a letter from lowell regarding the outstanding balance that they have obviously bought from barclays, no doubt for pence. Anyway i gave them a call and said i can pay £25 per month as thats all i could afford, he said basically system says no. Oh well, i sent them a financial statement and have not heard anything since. Today lo and behold another letter arrives

Dear Mr

ref *****
original creditor : barclays bank plc
balance just under £3000

In previous letters sent to you (NEVER RECEIVED ANY) it was made clear that unless an acceptable offer od repayment was made, we would take appropriate steps to recover the amount owing

As you have failed to make a suitable offer of repayment to wards the outstanding amount, we now intend to instruct an agent to visit your home and discuss payment.

blah blah blah

call us NOW on 0999999999 etc

Ok first off yes its my debt, no prblems with that.

I do not wish anyone to visit me or tresspass on my property unless they want a (edit) in their back. I am prepared to be reasonable and pay what I can currently afford.Surely £25 per month is better than £0>?

Is this a case of lowell buy 100 debts and hope to strike lucky with one? Ive heard bad things about them and their methods? They even asked me to make token payment over the phone with debit card, no chance i said?

Am i best sticking to my guns and asking them to send me direct debit mandate or standing order etc? If not they can take me to court, ive made an offer and they refused so?

Any advice appreciated :beer:
:idea: £2051.50 since Oct 25 2006 ;) Make mine a Golden £143.46 :D

I love Leadhead :D:D

Comments

• Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Firstly put the knife away. That's just going to land you in jail.

Can you do a statement of income and outgoings which shows £25 is all you can reasonably afford? People here would be happy to offer an opinion on if it is likely to look 'reasonable' to Lowells.

I would also ask for a copy of the original credit agreement demonstrating that you do in fact owe the money. They may not have it. Also evidence they have bought the debt (or are they just managing it for Barclays)
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
  • the_postman_2
    Options
    ok sorry the knife was a joke! :rolleyes:

Ok

I bring home £1000-£1040 month
    + £40 child tax credit
    £70 child benefit
    £220 her wage

=£1330-£1380 month all in

me 20k top line, but i have £8 week csa arrears until sept 07, and £4 week student loan deduction.

Out

Petrol £90 diesel £90 (her)
    road tax £10, £10 (her)
    Insurance £44 (£25 in april 07) ,£16 (her)
    Gas/Elec £ 70? approx
    Contents insurance £17
    phone (bt + internet) £ 40
    sky £17.50 (i know)
    food etc£220 inclusive (toiletries etc all in)
    council tax debt £10
    council tax £83
    rent £425
    water £25
    loan £53
    tv licence £10
    college nursery fees £20 week £80 month

£1310.50

That is the absolute bare essentials?

I have a pint a week at most, i dont smoke, do spend cash i dont need to

No emergency cash, clothing, etc etc. I know sky is naughty but jesus! Thats it!

My partner earns £60 a week but runs her car to college, and work and takes my daughter to creche at college and also has to pay weekly fees for my daughter etc. And she pays tv licence Her money is gone and often i give her £10 here or there, so as you can see i have very little left.

Sometimes a bill comes in and i have to work extra to pay it, i dont have savings as such, just week by week!

• lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hi there

my first feelings are

Surely if the child lives with you you shouold be getting child allowance & tax credits?
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • anh1904
    anh1904 Posts: 480 Forumite
    Options
    OP, if you want to keep TV and internet and phone, cable do all three bundled together for £30 per month, so that's a £27.50 saving on what you pay now. Worth looking at, any sports you really need are surely on at one of your mates? I was gutted to lose sports and movies, but needs must.
    Like all revolutions, guerrilla goodness begins slowly, with a single act. Let it be yours.

Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.
  • the_postman_2
    Options
    im tied to contract for 6 more months.

dont have movies, only sports. 17.50 is ok and again contracted 10 months

Yes sorry £38 month child tax and 60 child benefit.

£53 gone on loan of hers

Rest on other shopping, £10 week for toiletries etc and wilkos stuff.
    £5 week food @work

Anyway this is my debt not hers? do they look at partners income? its nothing
    still have nothing left anyway, we manage to get by without being extravagant! Im 26 btw , mrs is 23, daughter 3.5

Are lowell associates dubious people by the way?

• KatrinaC_2
    Options
    Anyway this is my debt not hers? do they look at partners income? its nothing
    still have nothing left anyway, we manage to get by without being extravagant! Im 26 btw , mrs is 23, daughter 3.5

Generally they look at household income so if you are living together as a couple then yes, they will take her income into account, however they will also take her expenses into account.

How about you redo your SOA with her stuff on as well as a complete listing of yours and we'll try again? :)

Kat
  • anh1904
    anh1904 Posts: 480 Forumite
    Options
    Very good point by Emmzi, make sure they have purchased the debt, you should ask for some written proof.
    Like all revolutions, guerrilla goodness begins slowly, with a single act. Let it be yours.

Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.
  • the_postman_2
    Options
    re assesed soa

Ok

I bring home £1000-£1040 month
    + £40 child tax credit
    £70 child benefit
    £220 her wage

=£1330-£1380 month all in

me 20k top line, but i have £8 week csa arrears until sept 07, and £4 week student loan deduction.

Out

Petrol / diesel £180 2 cars
    road tax £20
    Insurance £44 (£25 in april 07) ,£16 (her) £60 total
    Gas/Elec £ 70? approx
    Contents insurance £17
    phone (bt + internet) £ 40
    sky £17.50 (i know)
    food etc£220 inclusive (toiletries etc all in)
    council tax debt £10
    council tax £83
    rent £425
    water £25
    loan £53
    tv licence £10
    college nursery fees £20 week £80 month

£1310.50

2 cars are needed sadly! I travel 12 miles to work, mrs 22 to college, then 12 to work every day

• the_postman_2
    Options
    anh1904 wrote:
    Very good point by Emmzi, make sure they have purchased the debt, you should ask for some written proof.

?? Can you explain the importance of this? thanks

• whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Options
    What about claiming back bank charges on the original account?
    If they closed your account, then you must incurred the usual bounced direct debit charges etc.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure