We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
electric monitor
I have a british gas electricity montor as I think my electric consumption
is to high, we live in an average 3 bed semi.
At the moment it is reading energy being used at 900watt.
There dosn't seem to be a setting that i can match day by day the usage on
the monitor together with the digital electric meter.
I have to pay £80 if I want the meter tested and wondered if anyone has
tried an energy monitor before? and how reliable are they?
Chris
is to high, we live in an average 3 bed semi.
At the moment it is reading energy being used at 900watt.
There dosn't seem to be a setting that i can match day by day the usage on
the monitor together with the digital electric meter.
I have to pay £80 if I want the meter tested and wondered if anyone has
tried an energy monitor before? and how reliable are they?
Chris
0
Comments
-
The most reliable and accurate electicity monitor is usually the actual meter.
These remote devices have their purpose but are not as accurate as the actual meter.
You can check the accuracy of the monitor by comparing it to the meter over a period of days.
You can check the accuracy of the meter usually quite simply without spending £80.
First of all, turn off all your electrical appliances - the meter should record no consumption.
Then grab an appliance with a known large consumption; a typical 2kW heater would be ideal. They only cost about a tenner if you don't already have something suitable.
One without a thermostat is best (otherwise turn it up to max and perhaps open a window to ensure the thermostat does not activate)
Take meter reading. Turn on appliance for a specific period e.g. 30 min. In the case of a 2kW appliance, then your meter should have recorded exactly 1 unit.
It's not a perfect check but if both of these checks prove positive, chances are that your meter is not faulty."Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 20100 -
The VERY first thing to do is to put your monitor in a cupboard, then go and read your main electricity meter. One week later read your meter again, divide the difference between the 2 readings by seven and that is your daily consumption - accurately..
I live in a 3 bed detached.
Fridge, freezer, dish washer, washing machine, plasma TV, Sky box, PC (usually on 24/7), electric cooker (not used a great deal), occasional use of tumble drier and electric convector heater, lots of clocks.
I do have energy saving lamps wherever they will fit, other than that I don't try and drastically attempt to reduce my consumption - I am reasonably happy with what I use and pay for.
My daily consumption over the last 3 months has been about 9 units.
If you read some of the other threads on the subject of these power monitors you will see that I am somewhat of a sceptic on these appliances, for 2 main reasons.
1. The are not very accurate, esp at low currents. You are much better advised to read the rating plate or the handbook of your appliances.
2. Many people just do not know how to interpret what they indicate.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards