We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Extracting a refund from Scottish Power
I am due a refund on my gas account of around £300 from SP after changing supplier but the letter / final account I received did not indicate how, or when, this would be paid. The letter / final account regarding the electricity refund (received subsequent to the gas one) stated that a cheque would be sent and this has already been received, but was for a significantly lower sum. As my account has been closed it appears to be impossible to send an email via the SP website.
Any thoughts?
Any thoughts?
0
Comments
-
I phoned them as the same thing happened to me, they said a cheque would be issued - still waiting -giving them 28 days incase they hit me with that when I phone back, at 22 days so far......I would phone them if I was you, I'm sure they can still access closed accounts.:)0
-
You can email them at [EMAIL="customer.services@scottishpower.co.uk"]customer.services@scottishpower.co.uk[/EMAIL]"Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 20100
-
Hi Fairzo
I have seen this before where a customer's new supplier provides an estimated meter reading as the transfer reading and when we bill your account to this it creates a large credit balance. I believe that our billing system does not automatically refund this payment as it is looking for an accurate meter reading to be used as the final reading.
I can check this for you if you wish and get any credit refunded back to you (10 working days from the day it is processed). If you want me to look at it for you email me at [EMAIL="onlinecomplaints@scottishpower.com"]onlinecomplaints@scottishpower.com[/EMAIL]. Alternatively, use the email provided by Premier and one of our customer service team will investigate for you.
Sorry for any inconvenience caused.
Kind Regards
Colin @ ScottishPower“Official Company Representative
I am the official company representative of Scottish Power. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"0 -
I left them to go with a cheaper online account and i had the cheque within a week or so.0
-
When you knew there was a credit, was it before the final bill was issued? If so, you need to take into account the final bill which will reduce the credit. Did you provide a change of supply reading? If not, it will be estimated. So, how does the opening reading compare to your current meter reading? If it's lower, then you would have owed the money anyway but if the estimate was higher than the meter, you would have paid more to your old Supplier...which could mean you paid higher unit charges.
If your metere reading now is lower than the change of supply read, they need to change it.:rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:0 -
When you knew there was a credit, was it before the final bill was issued? If so, you need to take into account the final bill which will reduce the credit. Did you provide a change of supply reading? If not, it will be estimated. So, how does the opening reading compare to your current meter reading? If it's lower, then you would have owed the money anyway but if the estimate was higher than the meter, you would have paid more to your old Supplier...which could mean you paid higher unit charges.
If your metere reading now is lower than the change of supply read, they need to change it.
The final account sent by SP is based on an actual meter reading on the day of the change of supplier. So the credit amount is precisely what I'm owed.0 -
Ask them what the final read is on their billing system. If it hasn't changed, then either that credit on the bill was wrong hence has been adjusted or they have not paid you enough.
They might have changed your closing reading (brought it forward) wiping out your credit. This would also lift your opening reading with your new Supplier. They have to exactly match.
Change of supply readings get disputed after the changes occur by Suppliers, which could account for this. The Supplier would then need to tell you why, if thats what they have done.:rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:0 -
Ask them what the final read is on their billing system. If it hasn't changed, then either that credit on the bill was wrong hence has been adjusted or they have not paid you enough.
They might have changed your closing reading (brought it forward) wiping out your credit. This would also lift your opening reading with your new Supplier. They have to exactly match.
Change of supply readings get disputed after the changes occur by Suppliers, which could account for this. The Supplier would then need to tell you why, if thats what they have done.
I don't understand what this means. A meter reading was taken on the day the supply switched and was sent to the new supplier. The same reading has been used by SP to calculate the final account which states that I am £296 in credit. (I was £300+ in credit at the time of the previous quarterly statement which was about a month before the final closing account.0 -
Hi Fairzo
I have seen this before where a customer's new supplier provides an estimated meter reading as the transfer reading and when we bill your account to this it creates a large credit balance. I believe that our billing system does not automatically refund this payment as it is looking for an accurate meter reading to be used as the final reading.
I can check this for you if you wish and get any credit refunded back to you (10 working days from the day it is processed). If you want me to look at it for you email me at [EMAIL="onlinecomplaints@scottishpower.com"]onlinecomplaints@scottishpower.com[/EMAIL]. Alternatively, use the email provided by Premier and one of our customer service team will investigate for you.
Sorry for any inconvenience caused.
Kind Regards
Colin @ ScottishPower
Thanks for sorting this out Colin, cheque received.0 -
Firstly, Scottish Power cancelled the great value tariff I was on without telling me (during Winter) and then put me a new tariff that was 74% higher prices. After 1 quarter I was around £600 in debit.
I have now cancelled and moved elsewhere (with a considerable saving). Firstly they did not accept my final reading (which was correct. They sent me a final bill with a credit of around £10 which contained an estimated final quarter usage 10 times greater the same period last year. Even now, many weeks after leaving, my meter readings are STILL BELOW their estimate.
After complaining, I got a second final bill in mid October with a credit of around £500. As with others, I was promised payment within 28 days. Then after further calls, got an apology and was promised payment within 5 days - Still waiting ...
I am disgusted by the lies and backhanded way I have had to deal with this company. They get one more phone call and then its a suitably worded mail to all the consumer authorities and the ombudsman.
I had terrible problems with PowerGen about 5 or 6 years ago, when they sent me a final bill for over £4000 and refused to budge on it. I was lucky to get eventually to talk to someone who actually cared enough to investigate and we got it sorted out.
Maybe they are all the same, but I dont care about the others. At the moment its Scottish Power and they should be ashamed of their actions.
If their representative on this site wants to take up this case specifically then PM me and I will give you the details.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards