We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Gas company refund

Hi, I've been registered with gas company A since I moved into my property in 2006. In 2008 my meter was upgraded and since then I've been having trouble with gas company B claiming that they are my gas supplier and trying to bill me for vast amounts of money that I have already paid to company A. After about 18 months of being pushed between gas companies, company A declared they were not my supplier and decided to refund all my payments (which were up-to-date). Shortly after this I managed to get company B to admit that they were in the wrong and that the national database had my property registered twice (an error that was introduced at the time of the meter change). At this point I registered to change my gas supplier to company C! Company A have now sent a (rather rude) overdue bill for the money that they refunded, even though I have had no communication with then whatsoever since they relinquished my account. Where do I stand in repaying the money? Does this need to be done all at once? Does the energy supplier billing code, come into play at all? Am I am rather resentful (at both companies) for having been pushed about, threatened with disconnection, recieved no level of customer service etc, even though I was a good paid up customer for over 4 years. It has taken me a lot of time and effort to sort it out and I believe the companies should have worked together to sort the situation.

Fed up with them both! :mad: Any info gratefully received.
Thanks

Comments

  • PNPSUKNET
    PNPSUKNET Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    you would need to pay the company that supplied you
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,878 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Hi too.ticky - Wow!
    I'm afraid the answer is Yes, you do have to pay Company 'A' for for your supplies during this period of an Inter-Industry squable.
    BUT
    These problems are not of your making and are the fault of both 'A' and 'B', and the other Agencies working in the backround - You are perfectly entitled to require that you are given the same amount of time to pay off this old debt, as the time the debt took to acrue.
    Also you must have spent time and money trying to sort this out, so put in a claim for your time/postage and phone calls
  • Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    It sounds like what happened is that you had a service alteration which meant that you had a new MPRN. This would cause your property to appear twice, the old MPRN with an earlier start date and old meter, the new MPRN with the new date they registered it and the new meter.

    If this is the case, you owe company A up to the disconnection of the MPRN only.

    If you then registered the new MPRN with company C, you owe them from the start date. If company B registered the 2nd MPRN and then you moved to company C, you owe company B up to the point of transfer.
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.