🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Vets4Pets - any idea on consultation fee?

Options
My little kitten has started limping tonight, she isn't weightbearing on her front paw although she jumped up on a small box ok.

She was purring so I assumed she was okay but a bit of research suggests that cats purr in pain too :(

I was going to phone and get her an appointment, they are registered at vets4pets but I was hoping for a rough idea of the cost?

I have no idea if there's anything I can do to help her poor thing :(

Comments

• littleun
    littleun Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    Consultation fee for our dog at vets 4 pets is £20
  • kittykarate
    Options
    Has she recently had her injections? There's something called Limping Kitten Syndrome that can be caused by the FCV part of the vaccination. One of my little monsters started limping with one of his front paws about 4 days after his first jab. He was cheerful in himself, purring, eating, playing if string dangled in front of nose but reluctant to move around too much, and even when sat was 'resting' his left front paw. Took him to the vets and was given anti inflammatory injection and anti biotics and it cleared up within a couple of days.
  • cyberbob
    cyberbob Posts: 9,480 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

I was going to phone and get her an appointment, they are registered at vets4pets but I was hoping for a rough idea of the cost?
    You could always ask them when you ring them.
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    From my 4 kittens, we went through 3 limping ones in a space of 2 weeks - two of them were ok after 48 hours, one started looking unwell and had to take him to the vet where he got injections and antibiotic for a week, vet though you may have got bitten in his paw (got wasps visiting once in a while, horrible things, could have been one of those)

The other 2 kittens were limping probably as a result of play fighting and were fine on their own - I did check thei paws of course, the were not broken so decided to wait and see at the time.

Do not know the vets you mention but ended up paying just under £90 for George to be seen, his injections and antibiotics for a week - but he is fine now...

Consultation alone was £39 (Goddards), the rest was meds.

Hope your kitty is well soon...
  • johnson293
    johnson293 Posts: 492 Forumite
    edited 18 March 2011 at 1:52PM
    Options
    Hi,

Just found this trhead as our kitten started limping this week, and was looking for any ideas.

She is 10 weeks old, and we took her also took her to vets4pets last weekend for the first part of her vaccinations (she goes back for the 2nd in two weeks). The same day she was sleepy, but back to her normal self the following days.

However, on wednesday, she had been asleep on one chair for a long time (longer than normal) and wasn't getting down for food or anything. She eventually moved to her blanket next to the radiator. When i went to see her, she got up, had a stretch and then had a noticeable limp when walking.

She holds the paw up when sitting, but can walk (gingerly) on it, however she does prefer to just lie around, obviously keeping weight off it.

I did think she may have had a fall in the house, as she is a bit of a climber, but there was nothing obvious to where she could have fell from and hurt it. If she wasn't much better today, I was going to book her a vets appointment anyway, but if its true about this 'limping kitten syndrome' after vaccinations, then hopefully thats all it is, rather than she's actually hurt herself.

MJ
  • kittykarate
    kittykarate Posts: 198 Forumite
    Options
    johnson293 wrote: »
    Hi,

I did think she may have had a fall in the house, as she is a bit of a climber, but there was nothing obvious to where she could have fell from and hurt it. If she wasn't much better today, I was going to book her a vets appointment anyway, but if its true about this 'limping kitten syndrome' after vaccinations, then hopefully thats all it is, rather than she's actually hurt herself.

MJ

I hope you still take your kitten to the vets, even if it just is limping kitten syndrome, she will still need some treatment.
  • charlie792
    charlie792 Posts: 1,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My local vets4pets charged £24 a few weeks back for a consultation

EDIT: Just saw this was an old thread
    MFW 2020 #111 Offset Balance £69,394.80/ £69,595.11
    Aug 2014 £114,750 -35 yrs (2049)
    Sept 2016 £104,800
    Nov 2018 £82,500 -24 yrs (2042)

• johnson293
    johnson293 Posts: 492 Forumite
    edited 18 March 2011 at 2:36PM
    Options
    I hope you still take your kitten to the vets, even if it just is limping kitten syndrome, she will still need some treatment.

Yeah, I would have taken her to the vet anyway - what I meant by my previous comment was, that hopefully it was something relatively 'minor' like this LKS, rather than a fracture to her leg.

Anyway, I have just called the vets, and have an appointment tonight.

Mentioned to them about 'limping kitten syndrome' as she'd just had her first jab with them last saturday, and they were quite dismissive of that theory.

Consulatation fee will be £25 + cost of whatever meds/etc she may need/be given.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport