We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Question about British Gas Energy Meter
timberflake
Posts: 1,623 Forumite
in Energy
I signed up to British Gas' energy saver and received my energy monitor today.
I've managed to set it up ok, and have input my tariff per their websites instructions, but as I have a night rate, the energy meter wants to know what time the night rate starts and finishes.
I'm on the dual fuel standard rate and looked and the tariff online but al it says is:
"Night means a period, or periods, determined by us (and as may be varied from time to time), totalling 7 hours (at present between 22:00 hours and 08:00 hours)."
So how do I find out what my 7 hour night rate is??? I suppose the safest was is to do it between 1am and 8am, but I want the meter to be accurate so how can I find out for sure?
I've managed to set it up ok, and have input my tariff per their websites instructions, but as I have a night rate, the energy meter wants to know what time the night rate starts and finishes.
I'm on the dual fuel standard rate and looked and the tariff online but al it says is:
"Night means a period, or periods, determined by us (and as may be varied from time to time), totalling 7 hours (at present between 22:00 hours and 08:00 hours)."
So how do I find out what my 7 hour night rate is??? I suppose the safest was is to do it between 1am and 8am, but I want the meter to be accurate so how can I find out for sure?
0
Comments
-
Call them and ask.0
-
-
They are open I believe from 8am to 8pm but if you can't phone then you will have to write and ask them. I really don't know what else you want someone to say.
BTW, I'm not interested in a post count. I didn't even realise there was one.
Edit: Sheesh 72 posts.. just shows the amount of time I've wasted on here.0 -
They are open I believe from 8am to 8pm but if you can't phone then you will have to write and ask them. I really don't know what else you want someone to say.
BTW, I'm not interested in a post count. I didn't even realise there was one.
What do I want someone to say? Well, someone may know the answer for a start. I find it hard to believe that I'm the only person that has ever wanted to know when the BG night rate starts and finishes, and I thought someone on her might know, I don't think thats an unreasonable assumption!
I thought that I may be able to get a quick answer on here rather than writing an email to BG.0 -
Timeswitches for E7 can kick in at 11:30, 12:00 or 12:30 commonly but it depends on what is set on the meter.
They can drift or be set up wrong.
So, fool proof way - check around these times so you can set your monitor to it.:rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:0 -
Depends on the region. Search the forum.0
-
Found a few threads
Generic details based on region:
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/605731
More specifically, you may need the Meter Timeswitch Code (MTC) from your bill.
How to find the MTC
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2060315
What the MTC means
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/594908
Hope this makes sense.0 -
Well I got in touch with British Gas who responded as follows:
"if your electricity meter has a Timeswitch then your night timings will be from 1.00am to 8.00am. Whereas if you meter has a Teleswitch then your night timings will be from 12.00am to 7.00am."
Only problem is, they haven't told me how to identify whether I have a Timeswtich or Teleswitch!
Using the information above (thanks SwanJon) I've identified that my MTC is 830, which means my night time is 0100 - 0800.
0 -
You've got a teleswitch if your MTC is correct as 830.
Just be aware that MTC's are widely known to be full of errors in the market as Suppliers don't keep them correctly updated and industry regulation of MTC's is poor.
Also, engineers frequently get out there to find the time settings to be different.
So, I would still suggest checking that the times are what you expect or else you will do all your calcs incorrect on that basis.:rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:0 -
You've got a teleswitch if your MTC is correct as 830.
Just be aware that MTC's are widely known to be full of errors in the market as Suppliers don't keep them correctly updated and industry regulation of MTC's is poor.
Also, engineers frequently get out there to find the time settings to be different.
So, I would still suggest checking that the times are what you expect or else you will do all your calcs incorrect on that basis.
How can I check though? The only way I can think of is to sit infront of the meter at 30 minute intervals and watch for the dial to tick over and see if it ticks over on the day or night meter?
I tried this last night at 11.30pm, I sat there for 5 mins and neither reading moved. And yes, I did have lights, tv etc on! :rotfl:0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards