We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Eon problems

I've been having ongoing problems with Eon for some time now over an outstanding bill. I have now moved to EDF but am having to pay £40 a month to clear the Eon debt (in the region of £850). It appears that back in 2008 Eon put a hold on my direct debit whilst my account was in dispute. As the Direct Debit was £70 a month at the time and it took 9 months to resolve the dispute that means £630 was not taken from my account and paid towards the bill.

I wrote to their CEO and have had a phone call from someone in his office saying they should have been more proactive and at least made me aware that they were not taking the Direct Debit payment.

She phoned me again today to say that if I could pay a lump sum of £600 then they would wipe the debt. Obviously if I don't have that amount. I stated my case to her again and she said that she will get back in touch again tomorrow.

I was just after some advice as to the best way of dealing with this at this stage.

Comments

  • Parva
    Parva Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    Doing the maths it would appear that you don't dispute that you didn't pay the Direct Debit for a period of time entailing a debt of £630 and you have been offered a resolution of this debt at £600. Apologies if I am being stupid here but if you didn't pay the agreed DD and are now being offered a discounted settlement what am I missing?

    Edit: Reading further it looks like you owed even more. :)
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    If you agree you still owe £850, then the offer to accept just £600 now in full and final settlement is very generous of E.On.

    Of course, this proposal is based on the assumption you pay now and in full the £600.
    E.On are in the business of supplying energy, not lending money.
    Is there anyway you could borrow this money? At £40 per month which you are currently paying E.On, I suspect the interest on a £600 loan would not be anywhere near £250 over a period of about 18 months - 2 years :)
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Posts: 2,359 Organisation Representative
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Hi scottygees,

    It does sound like you have already done the right thing in contacting the Director's Office at E.ON.

    They are the best people to deal with in these situations. It does sound like you have been given a fair offer, but as I can't see specific details it is hard for me to say.

    Keep talking to the agent who is owning your complaint and I hope you are able to come a resolution today.

    Helena
    “Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,878 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Hi scottygees - From your post I gather that your account was in 'Dispute' for 9 months - You don't give a reason for the Dispute, but my guess is that it was due to an arguement between two suppliers as to which one held your account, and although you had authorised Eon to take D/D payments in this period, they elected not to do so.

    The point is that the Eon tariff you were on would have at the very least offered a discount for D/D payments.
    An inter-industry dispute is nothing to do with you, nor is Eons choice not to take the D/D's, so the billing you had over this period should have included D/D discount - Check the bills you had over this period to see that they did indeed include D/D discount, and if they did not COMPLAIN in writing

    So far as the offer to settle for £600 is concerned, check the bills and if I'm right, re-negotiate.
  • if you didnt even notice that they werent taking your DD for 9 months for a considerable amount, I find it hard to believe you couldnt cough up £600, as you clearly have plenty of cash in your account.

    I know to the £ what is coming out of my account each month.

    You should take Eon's offer, it is more than fair.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.