Advice re switching

Hinni
Hinni Posts: 69 Forumite
Hello,

I've only lived in my new house since 1 Aug this year so as yet I haven't had any bills. Today, I was bamboozelled :o into switching to Swalec (I'm currently with British Gas). The offer does seem cheaper but as I have no bill to campare it to, I can't really tell. :confused: I have a 7 day cooling off period. Should I cancel now or wait for my first bill to come in and then compare? Does anyone use Swalec? Any info would be appreciated.
Many thanks!

Comments

• Gal
    Gal Posts: 437 Forumite
    Phone both suppliers and ask them for the unit costs for your area - Whoever is cheaper would be the one to stay with.

(Remember to ask them for exc and inc and unit thresholds, Could be wrong but EDFs unit thresholds i think are higher then all the other suppliers).
  • Hinni
    Hinni Posts: 69 Forumite
    Many thanks Gal. Will carry out some investigating!
    Cheers!
  • Hi Hinni

I would cancel straight way, wait until you get your first bill, and then look at the best deals available in your area. I doubt that the Swalec one will be the cheapest.
    Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught - Sir Winston Churchill
  • If the supply is out of the swalec area then they will be about the cheapest supplier at the moment... But it may be worth you looking around or looking at Uswitch to see whats what
    Filiss
  • Gal
    rosscobley wrote:
    If the supply is out of the swalec area then they will be about the cheapest supplier at the moment... But it may be worth you looking around or looking at Uswitch to see whats what

:rotfl: Or an unbiased site that may actually give you the cheapest option
  • Gal wrote:
    :rotfl: Or an unbiased site that may actually give you the cheapest option

What do you mean U switch are an inderpendant company that will compare all suppliers. They may try and push you towards a company that pay them but they still show you all prices for all companys
    Filiss
  • djohn2002uk
    djohn2002uk Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    USwitch do NOT show all companies. If they refuse to pay USwitch they don't get listed.
  • Gal
    rosscobley wrote:
    What do you mean U switch are an inderpendant company that will compare all suppliers. They may try and push you towards a company that pay them but they still show you all prices for all companys

See the above by Djohn.

If it shows all suppliers then it needs to have a better look as its missing a couple. ;)
  • Oh well i stand corrected i always thought that they show all companys but you had to click on an option to show all companys even with a bad rating... What is the best one to use then????
    Filiss
  • Gal
    Heard Uk Power are supposed to be pretty good - Sure someone will give you the list. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure