We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Have I calculated my energy usage wrongly?
Comments
-
Hi, yes in theory the last 4 totals should be you annual usage, however Scottish power quarters do not equal 91 days, so the latest 4 totals are only 329 days.The_Goatreich wrote: »I've just done a comparison to see whether I could save money by changing to a different energy supplier. I'm currently with Scottish Power on the Online Capped Price Energy September 2011 (No Standing Charge) tariff. However every time I try a comparison which is at least 3 times in the last 18 months nothing comes close to the tariff I'm on, the nearest moneysupermarket can come is £80 per annum more than I currently pay.
I'm starting to wonder whether I'm calculating my energy usage correctly from the data tables Scottish Power give me online.
From the following table I have been taking 4 readings to be one year as the bills are quarterly. I have 2.5 years of energy usage in the chart so I've been taking the next 4 readings as the previous year then entering the average into the box on moneysupermarket as an annual kWh usage.
Am I doing this correctly or am I simply just on the right tariff?
My house is a two bedroom terraced with two people living there. One person is home most days all day and the other is home most evenings.
Putting that aside I have just put the figures for the last 4 totals (3664 kwh electric and 6997 gas) into energyhelpline.com, using my east midlands postcode and your tariff and it comes up with npower giving a hefty £170 saving.
You do not use much gas do you.0 -
The gas is only used for the heating, so it gets used during the winter but not much at any other time of year.
Thanks, those figures are the same as I got so maybe I should try further afield than moneysupermarket to see.0 -
OK, I'm getting a £53 saving for the best capped price offer. It's going to cost me £50 to get out of my Scottish Power contract so I'll probably leave it.
Cheers for your help.0 -
Yes my figures were for all tariffs, not just capped ones.The_Goatreich wrote: »OK, I'm getting a £53 saving for the best capped price offer. It's going to cost me £50 to get out of my Scottish Power contract so I'll probably leave it.
Cheers for your help.
I wish I had your gas bill, you must have a very well insulated house or have the heating set low, especially with someone at home all day. Do you use gas to heat your water in summer?0 -
Actually, yes my mistake. The gas is used to heat the water aswell as I have a combi boiler. I guess it must be pretty well insulated, I'm certainly not one of those people that are afraid to put the heating on when it's cold.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards