0800 calls free or no?

Options
Hi,

I tried calling a number for Orange, 0800 079 2000 from a landline. It gives you options for Broadband or mobile.

I know on the mobile Pay Monthly side, it is completely free even when you talk for hours on end to their hopeless customer service. (I MEAN BY USING THIS NUMBER FROM A LANDLINE, NOT 150 FROM A HANDSET)

I tried the Pay As You Go option yesterday, after holding a while it says, 'If you wish to speak to someone it will be a flat rate of 25p, then the next time on the same call it said 75p, so i hung up.

Now, can someone advise me, from a BT landline it is a FREE 0800 call, can they charge if i do get connected through to an Orange advisor or no?

If yes, how can this possibly be done as its a FREE call?
If no, what is orange talking about, with the 25p & 75p stuff?

Thanks

Comments

• rapido
    rapido Posts: 392 Forumite
    Options
    . .
  • DonnyDave
    DonnyDave Posts: 1,579 Forumite
    Options
    mogora wrote:
    Now, can someone advise me, from a BT landline it is a FREE 0800 call, can they charge if i do get connected through to an Orange advisor or no?
    It is physically not possible for the call charging rate to be changed part way through the call. You dialled the freephone number (from a landline) so it is free. You were told that it would cost 25p, probably because it put you through to a line which is normally for calls from a mobile handset using 450.
  • acezing
    acezing Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    On the Orange contract side calls to FREEphone numbers are no longer FREE.

If you could get through from a landline the FREEphone call would indeed be free as its not possible to change the cost of a call after call begins.
  • mogora
    mogora Posts: 88 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well, i've been using that number for their Pay Monthly CS for ages and always works fine for me.

acezing wrote:
    The Orange FREEphone no you mention doesnt work anymore. Probaly got to much publicity on https://www.saynoto0870.com

On the Orange contract side calls to FREEphone numbers are no longer FREE.

If you could get through from a landline the FREEphone call would indeed be free as its not possible to change the cost of a call after call begins.
  • acezing
    Options
    mogora wrote:
    Well, i've been using that number for their Pay Monthly CS for ages and always works fine for me.

Yes its now working again!!!!
  • gogsboy
    gogsboy Posts: 527 Forumite
    Options
    Did you have to call Orange to allow this?
  • acezing
    Options
    gogsboy wrote:
    Did you have to call Orange to allow this?

No. We are calling the FREEPHONE Number from a landline not an Orange Phone.Orange charge for calls to 0800 numbers from their contract and payg phones.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure