We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Fluxuating Npower Bill
WalterWizzleStick
Posts: 2 Newbie
in Energy
Could anyone help me understand my bill, I have been working from home for the last year and a half, my electricity usage is fairly static on a day to day basis. I have just received an eye watering electricity bill which is far higher than it has ever been over the last year and a half.
What I don't understand is how the electricity bill from April to July can be £71 and then the bill from July to October is £230, There has been no extra usage of household appliances to warrant such a jump. The only thing I can think is that the cheap bill says 'estimate'. Here are links to my last three Npower bills:-
*EDIT* Apparently I cannot post links or images as I am a new member. Could a moderator allow me to post links please and I will edit this shortly.
April -
Link deleted
July -
Link deleted
October -
Link deleted
Not only am I quite new to these bills and how they are calculated, I also have an old electricity meter with the dials, I have no idea how to read it so for all I know the meter reader could be making up any figure for usage.
Any help is appreciated,
Kind regards,
WalterWizzleStick
What I don't understand is how the electricity bill from April to July can be £71 and then the bill from July to October is £230, There has been no extra usage of household appliances to warrant such a jump. The only thing I can think is that the cheap bill says 'estimate'. Here are links to my last three Npower bills:-
*EDIT* Apparently I cannot post links or images as I am a new member. Could a moderator allow me to post links please and I will edit this shortly.
April -
Link deleted
July -
Link deleted
October -
Link deleted
Not only am I quite new to these bills and how they are calculated, I also have an old electricity meter with the dials, I have no idea how to read it so for all I know the meter reader could be making up any figure for usage.
Any help is appreciated,
Kind regards,
WalterWizzleStick
0
Comments
-
It's as you say, the previous bills were estimates.. rough guesses and now they've read the meter and caught up. If you're not on the cheapest Npower deal then now is maybe the time to do some checking on the comparison sites and see if you can find a cheaper tariff.0
-
Hi WalterWhizzleStick - As already posted, the October Bill based on an Actual meter reading has caught up with previous bills based on under Estimated meter readings
That said, you have spent £300 on Elec in 6 summer months, which is very high unless you have a lot of power hungry kit running to work from home
I'm afraid it's case of getting to grips with that old meter and doing your homework - Dial meters are confusing because not all the Dials run clockwise - On each dial record the lowest number that the pointer has just passed. NEVER, NEVER accept an Estimated bill, always phone in your meter reading as soon as one arrives so that a 'True' bill can be issued.
You have 18 months of bills, so go back thro' them and work out just how many Kw, (Units), you are using a year, then enter this figure into some Switch sites to get the cost from other suppliers - The lowest cost will be on a tariff with D/Debit payments & Online billing0 -
OH gollygosh!
I don't really understand how it can be so high.
I just have my computer running most of the day which I calculated to come in at around £25 per 3 months,
Fridge and freezer, lighting which would be on in 1 room at a time in the evening. Dishwasher used once a week on cheapest setting. And then the oven and stove used once a day. I barely even use the kettle or microwave, maybe once every 2 weeks. I cannot fathom how that lot is costing so much.0 -
Hi,
It's very likely to be a cath up on the estimate.
Work out the difference between your 2 bills showing firm reads, not estimates. Then work out the number of days between and divide the difference in units by these days. Does that look more likely?
If so, your bills are just playing catch. As Dogshome wisely states, never ever accept estimates, get them replaced by your reading. This makes your patterns more accurate and in turn, your DD's will follows.
It's worth sorting this as it will possibly impact you again later if they look at patterns in certain seasons. However, you just get any overestimation replaced not stop that, if they did it again.
Be sure about your business status as well. Working from home can mean you have to be a business to them...not always but worth checking with your accountant incase they ever jump on that and start wanting contracts.:rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards