We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

gas payment card meter

barbiedoll
barbiedoll Posts: 5,328 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
A friend has recently moved into her property, the previous occupiers gave her their gas top-up card to use in the meter at the house. Apparently, when she has topped-up the money, she then inserts the card which shows the balance remaining. Also, a charge of £2.00 for "debt" is shown on the meter. She thought this was a standing charge but I think that the previous owners of the property may have been paying arrears on their bill and as they have passed the card to her, she is now paying instead! Would this be correct? She says that the gas supplier (Southern energy, I think) have been notified that she now owns the property so she doesn't think that she is paying anyone's arrears. If so, what is the "debt charge for? I have never used a top-up meter so I have no idea if this is a standard charge. Thanks!
"I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"

Comments

  • Hi When we moved into our rented accomodation we to were left a card of which we promptly loaded up, thinking it was ok as it was a pre pay meter, but it too swallowed our £40.00!:eek: between the Gas and Lecky ,when we got intouch we were informed that we need to contact the provider and they send you a new Card,How ever saying that the usage rate is a higher to cover the standing charge, and most providers offer you an emergency back up ours do of £5.00 which resets it.. ( was'nt sure at first but I now love the idea I will never get a paper bill again)...and can readily see what I am spending at any given one time.If your friend has kept the reciepts of the transactions ot very rough dates and times ..The provider should be able to refund you.its all long winded as when you top up your card they can see where,when and the amount you paid .. Debts that other people run up can be cleared and it is clawed back as you top up..HTH
    Don't sweat the small stuff, Its all small stuff.
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    one of the first things you should do when you move into a property is register with a supplier beit bill meter or prepaid.
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • the previous occupiers gave her their gas top-up card to use in the meter at the house.
    She must stop using this card because any money she puts on it will go to their account.
    She should ask the supplier for a new one and she should have taken meter readings when she moved in and give those to the supplier who will set up her own account with its own card
  • Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    You need a new card. You now also need the Supplier to take the payments off the old customers account. To do this, call them and set an account up with the date you moved in which will be before the payments. They then need to move them over.

    Get a new card though or you just keep paying their's off. The Supplier will not set the debt up on your card and then start chasing the old customer for the remaining.
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • barbiedoll
    barbiedoll Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Thanks to everyone for the replies, I suspect she IS paying their arrears! I'll tell her to get a new card as soon as possible.
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.