PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Getting gas and electricity tested

Options
Hi all

I'm am FTB and received the results of the Home Buyer report today. Everything had a condition of 1 apart from the gas and electrics. The surveyor gave them a rating of 3 and have advised me to get these both tested.

I know he's probably covering his back but I'm not too sure if it's really necessary for me to fork out a couple of hundred pounds to get them done? It's a 2 bed house built in the mid 1980s. I've been to see it 3 times and the tv was on, all lights were on.

Can I risk having them checked out once I've moved in?

Thanks

Liv

Comments

• seraphin_2
    Options
    A gas and elec survey shouldent cost more than about £100, could you not get the seller to pay for it. My advise would be get it done, the boiler may be old and past it, elec do go faulty etc.

For example i sold my house this year the buyer requested one, i paid no problem and i knew there was no problems as i had one done when i bought it originally, but it offered peace of mind to the buyer, my friend bought a house last year, dident have one and the house needs new central heating and lot of re-wiring, so its either £100 ish pounds or potentially £1000 ?

Hope that helps, everything may look ok dosent actually mean it is
    :j mseswgwa:j
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Rating of 3? What is supposed to be wrong? It sounds like *rse-covering.

1980s? Well, I have no doubt the electrics / gas aren't compliant with current building reg standards, but they'll meet the 1980s standards... which were far superior to those in the days when my house was built! Millions of properties have electrics which don't meet current standards, but they all work fine.

Unless there was evidence of dodgey DIY electrics or gas I doubt there's a problem.

But if you want peace of mind, send in an electrician and a gas engineer.
  • Liv1977
    Liv1977 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks guys.

I'll try and get the vendor to pay for the tests. If that fails then I think for peace of mind I'll fork out for them myself. I'd prefer to be over cautious seeing as it's my first property!
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    You can look at the fuse box yourself = free.
    You can write down the name of the boiler and research it online = free
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I sold my Mum's house last year, which was built in 1970 by Wimpey.

There was nothing materially wrong with the electrics, other than they were 40 years old, and had a traditional fuse box rather than circuit breakers.

Electrics in a 1980s house should be even better spec than this, and likewise, there's no reason to assume that 30-years old = replacement UNLESS the surveyor has pointed out any material faults. Has he?
  • Liv1977
    Liv1977 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    The exact wording is as follows regarding the electricity:-

'Mains electricity is connected with the meter and fuse box plug-in trip switch cartridges situated within the cupboard off the enclosed entrance lobby. The electrical installation will not comply with current recommendations

Instruct a qualified NICEIC/ECA registered electrical contractor to test the electrical installation.....

His overall opinion of the property:-

I found no evidence of any serious problems...
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    Options
    I would get a gas engineer in to do a service and test of all gas appliances as a matter of course.
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As Hammyman said get the gas tested.

You should do so regularly for your own safety when you live in the house regardless.

The electrics aren't that old so I wouldn't bother unless you are aware that the seller did a lot of DIY on the property including things like put in an electric shower.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Liv1977 wrote: »
    The exact wording is as follows regarding the electricity:-

'Mains electricity is connected with the meter and fuse box plug-in trip switch cartridges situated within the cupboard off the enclosed entrance lobby. The electrical installation will not comply with current recommendations

Instruct a qualified NICEIC/ECA registered electrical contractor to test the electrical installation.....

His overall opinion of the property:-

I found no evidence of any serious problems...

Sounds absolutely fine. Of course it will not comply with current recommendations - it was built in 1980s! It complies with 1980s regs.

no evidence of any serious problems - I see no issue.
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Liv1977 wrote: »
    The electrical installation will not comply with current recommendations

Would it have been too much trouble for the surveyor to say WHY NOT ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure