We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

We managed to REDUCE our Energy Consumption

2

Comments

  • Mothership
    Mothership Posts: 823 Forumite
    edited 18 October 2010 at 12:17PM
    £500mper month is astronomical:eek:
    Its a BIG house with BIG ceilings (14ft) BIG windows 8 Rooms 5 of which are bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2 Kitchens.

    £400 - £500 per month was what I WAS spending, its reduced to about £135 per month for both gas and electricity. My last count there was over 100 light bulbs, the savings we made changing these alone must be quite a lot. In the winter the house could get really cold even with the heating on all the time, last winter was the first the house felt warm, I put that down to the draught excluders on the sash windows etc.

    This is the first time I've ever been in credit with my energy supplier, it was two long years before the savings started to show in the bills.
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • CharlieBilly
    CharlieBilly Posts: 2,319
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Forumite
    Well better late than never but £500 is very very high

    You say its BB arent you then on a business tariff
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    If you dont already have halogen hobs or grill, then when your oven finally packs-in, it is worth buying a replacement with them. They really do heat-up quickly, and are really cost-effective.

    How's the insulation in your loft?. This can make a large difference.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

    Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

    3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

  • patman99 wrote: »
    If you dont already have halogen hobs or grill, then when your oven finally packs-in, it is worth buying a replacement with them. They really do heat-up quickly, and are really cost-effective.

    How's the insulation in your loft?. This can make a large difference.

    There are two flats above us, its a Victorian Terrace the loft is a long way up.
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • RazWaz
    RazWaz Posts: 1,070
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I live in a Victorian house too, with 14 foot ceilings and huge windows. I pay less than £500 per year never mind per month :o
  • Mothership, you dont say what form of heating you have, was the £500 an average thru the year?


    We have setup our washing machine, extra fridge and tumble drier to use economy 7 (using a timer) and that has made a difference

    Our biggest consumer is the cooker, 66p/hour if the oven+rings are on....
  • Mothership, you dont say what form of heating you have, was the £500 an average thru the year?


    We have setup our washing machine, extra fridge and tumble drier to use economy 7 (using a timer) and that has made a difference

    Our biggest consumer is the cooker, 66p/hour if the oven+rings are on....

    Yes it averaged at £400-£500. But has not been that high for about 2 years.

    Gas heating 11 radiators no fires. I now use the dishwasher/washing machine at night.

    The timers sound interesting , how do you do that?

    I stopped my OH washing dishes with running hot water, ( he takes hours to do them). He now uses a bowl, and cold rinse. If he manages to find any LOL. I make sure the dishwasher gets them.
    I watch him with the tumble dryer too, he has a tendency to put it on for max time for something that would take 20 min to dry.
    I also changed the way I cook. I batch roast for the freezer, and use slow cookers and a rice maker. I microwave the veg.
    I had to FIGHT for the linings and draught excluders on the windows. He insisted that they wouldn't make a difference. He asked me the other day when we were putting them back on. I still have a few windows to make liners for, and I'm definitely going to get the thermal blinds esp for the back of the house which is North facing.
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,125
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    Forumite
    Its can be cheaper to use dishwasher then hand washing. The dont costs much to run many of them and use less water than hand washing do many of them which is imporant if you are on a water meter

    I find it incredible you spent so much anyway I hope you more careful with other things like insurance and shopping around for deals. When you dont have much money it makes you think, do I need that? where can I find it cheaper etc?
  • savemoney wrote: »
    Its can be cheaper to use dishwasher then hand washing. The dont costs much to run many of them and use less water than hand washing do many of them which is imporant if you are on a water meter

    I find it incredible you spent so much anyway I hope you more careful with other things like insurance and shopping around for deals. When you dont have much money it makes you think, do I need that? where can I find it cheaper etc?

    We found it incredible too, even more incredible is how much we were able to reduce it. Hence the post. The fuel costs were gobbling up around half our income. Scary eh?

    I'm careful with everything, this website has made a BIG difference to our finances and raised our standard of living.
    I bought Martins Book first, I learned so much from that, then I visited the site for ages before I plucked up the courage to join. Its a great comfort to know there's all these peeps out there willing to share their knowledge. With their help , and yours (I've read loads of your posts), I've been able to plug all the gaps, no more money going down the drain.

    You know what they say a problem shared!!!!:beer:
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • I thought I spent a bit at £1000 a year for gas and electric.
    At least I know my house is efficient compared to yours.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.