Eon energy fit monitor - when you live in a flat

Options
ScarletBea
ScarletBea Posts: 2,913 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I finally got my monitor, but I have a big problem when I try to set it up.
I live in a flat (4th floor) and the meter is on a separate room on the ground floor, so I don't know how to connect it (if it's even possible...).

Looking at the cables that go out of my electric board inside the flat (where all the plugs and fuses are), I can't see anything remotely looking like live/earth cables - just a big fat black cable-thing that I think it actually the cover for all cables (protected) - it doesn't work when I link the monitor to this.

Anyone got any ideas?
Being brave is going after your dreams head on

Comments

• Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You probably need access to the meter where the main fuse is located.

It appears you only have the consumer box located in your flat, and that probably doesn't have easy access to the correct wires.

The possible issue you may have if the meter is so remote from your flat is the range of the transmitter that you need to install - I don't know how far it will travel.

Also if neighbours install one, I think there have been reports of some people picking up the wrong transmitter (they all seem to work on the same frequency) - would be particularly the case if all the meters are located together.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • st999
    st999 Posts: 1,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can you access the cables that go into your consumer unit in the flat?

You can use these cables.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ScarletBea wrote: »
    I finally got my monitor, but I have a big problem when I try to set it up.
    I live in a flat (4th floor) and the meter is on a separate room on the ground floor, so I don't know how to connect it (if it's even possible...).

Looking at the cables that go out of my electric board inside the flat (where all the plugs and fuses are), I can't see anything remotely looking like live/earth cables - just a big fat black cable-thing that I think it actually the cover for all cables (protected) - it doesn't work when I link the monitor to this.

Anyone got any ideas?

Hi ScarletBea

I've just had a word with our technical people about your predicament.

If you can find where the live cable from your meter enters the property, you will be able to attach the transmitter to this.

Our monitors work up to 30 metres away from the transmitter. Therefore, as you live on the 4th floor and the meter is at ground level, I'm afraid it's extremely doubtful you will be able to use it if you can't find the live cable in the flat.

Sorry can't be more positive but hope this at least points you in the right direction. Give me a shout if I you need any more info as will be happy to help.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • ScarletBea
    ScarletBea Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for your answers - I've been away and just saw them.
    I will try to ask the caretaker about the live cable, and if it's really hidden I'll give the monitor to a friend :)
    Being brave is going after your dreams head on
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport