Ford Mondeo - Knackered Pistons...

Options
13»

Comments

• andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have never heard of anyone putting a "camera" inside the engine. Of course it may be the mechanics looking after Lewis Hamilton's race car.
    I would just shove some Wynns oil additive in there, and then maybe think about replacing the CAT, or as Strider says, the Lambda sensor could be faulty.
  • Flying-High_2
    Options
    Another thing that can achieve good results freeing sticky oil control rings is using ATF oil in a similar way to liquid decoke through a vac hose.and then dropping about 15ml down plug hole overnight to penetrate in to the ring seats. Be warned it will smoke like mad for a while as it burns of the oil

I'd be trying ATF fluid aswell...

But for many I would imagine adding ATF into the engine would be close to end of the world stuff.:rotfl:
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    you can get a bore cam, to check the pistons bores and rings. but to diagnose two stuck pistons, and engine runs !!!!!! was this an apprentice talking bull or what? bear this in mind an engine runs on compression! the pistons generate this compression (amoungst other parts) in order for the engine to run! no working piston no compression no engine power to start it. that well you cant call him a mechanic ummmmm........ i know what i'd call him doest belong near a screwdriver never mind a car!
  • johnnyroper
    johnnyroper Posts: 1,592 Forumite
    Options
    you can get a bore cam, to check the pistons bores and rings. but to diagnose two stuck pistons, and engine runs !!!!!! was this an apprentice talking bull or what? bear this in mind an engine runs on compression! the pistons generate this compression (amoungst other parts) in order for the engine to run! no working piston no compression no engine power to start it. that well you cant call him a mechanic ummmmm........ i know what i'd call him doest belong near a screwdriver never mind a car!

the OP has described as 2 stuck pistons but anyone with mechanical knowledge knows full well this is not the case if it is running,i suspect the OP does not have mechanical knowledge and has not quite understood what the garage said.

but reading post and seeing high emissions plus using oil and the fact it is the 1.8 then it leads me and some others to think the oil control rings are sticking.these rings have nothing to do with compression just controlling oil in the bores.
    i do not think you can slag the mechanic off it is simply the description of problem has been posted up incorrectly by someone who does not have any mechanical knowledge.The OP has asked for advice and most people contributing to this thread have done nothing more than slag the garage off without offering any advice to the problem.try re-reading the original post and take in all the information i.e oil consumption and high emissions!
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes its quite common for a well eqipped garage to put a camera inside of the engine.

Turning the engine over slowly by hand would be possible but you wont be able to spot a sticky
    piston ring with one. The gap around the piston is tiny and the rings are a few mm below the rings top surface.

A compression test may well show the engine to be all fine as well, But still burn oil as the oil control rings are
    stuck not the compression rings. The oil control rings need to move & expand to scrape the oil off teh bores
    on the engines downward stroke.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    edited 17 October 2010 at 4:01PM
    Options

I think you need to read what I posted:mad: The mechanic knows what he's taking about unlike some others. Looking down the plug hole with an endoscope will show any gooey/oily carbon deposits on the piston crowns that are guaranteed to have clogged the piston rings.
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • shanks84
    shanks84 Posts: 257 Forumite
    Options
    the OP has described as 2 stuck pistons but anyone with mechanical knowledge knows full well this is not the case if it is running,i suspect the OP does not have mechanical knowledge and has not quite understood what the garage said.

but reading post and seeing high emissions plus using oil and the fact it is the 1.8 then it leads me and some others to think the oil control rings are sticking.these rings have nothing to do with compression just controlling oil in the bores.
    i do not think you can slag the mechanic off it is simply the description of problem has been posted up incorrectly by someone who does not have any mechanical knowledge.The OP has asked for advice and most people contributing to this thread have done nothing more than slag the garage off without offering any advice to the problem.try re-reading the original post and take in all the information i.e oil consumption and high emissions!

You're absolutely right lol. My mechanical knowledge is limited, and I've obviously mis-quoted the mechanic. He did say the issue was with the rings, rather than the actual pistons. What I'm trying to establish is if it NEEDS a new engine, which is what the mechanic suggested, or if a strip down would suffice. He seemed very keen to buy the car off me as a non-runner (he offered about £500), and obviously it would be in his interest to repair it in his own time. How much am I looking at to repair it, if it is indeed the rings that are done in?
  • johnnyroper
    johnnyroper Posts: 1,592 Forumite
    Options
    shanks84 wrote: »
    You're absolutely right lol. My mechanical knowledge is limited, and I've obviously mis-quoted the mechanic. He did say the issue was with the rings, rather than the actual pistons. What I'm trying to establish is if it NEEDS a new engine, which is what the mechanic suggested, or if a strip down would suffice. He seemed very keen to buy the car off me as a non-runner (he offered about £500), and obviously it would be in his interest to repair it in his own time. How much am I looking at to repair it, if it is indeed the rings that are done in?

in my opinion a new engine is not needed,that will be why he was keen to buy it after saying new engine is required.

if you know someone who has some mechanical knowledge then get them to try putting some ATF fluid down plug holes overnight to see if they can be freed up.

i would also have a look on ford forums and see what people on there have done to overcome the issue before even thinking about getting engine changed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure