How much Critical Illness cover do we need?

Options
The renewal document has just come through for my Critical Illness cover and the charges have gone from £48.26 per month to £61.95 per month for £155,035.00 cover. My husband (main income earner) and I (home maker) took out similar separate Skandia policies around 9 years ago and the cover is good - more than most available currently. Since then we have had 2 children (5 + 6) and paid off our mortgage but taken on the cost of school fees. My husband has life insurance cover.
Is there a "rule of thumb" to suggest how much cover we actually need? At our review last year we decided that it was better to reduce costs by reducing cover rather than changing policy but what would be a reasonable amount?

Thanks,
Beckipeg
Beckipeg :)

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Skandia CI is very comprehensive and one of the better ones out there. Its not the cheapest but they take the quality view.

all debts + 2x salary is a rough guide.

Also, i would suggest you get a guaranteed plan rather than reviewable so you dont find yourself in this sitation again
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • deemy2004
    deemy2004 Posts: 6,201 Forumite
    Options
    Try http://www.cavendishonline.co.uk/

They can't be BEAT on premium pricing for the obvious reason that they don't charge a commission !
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They may be cheap but you pick the provider and the level of cover. So, you may pick a cheap company but how do you know which is best? Cavendish will not tell you. Which is why they do not charge for advice.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • payless
    payless Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Whilst I have time for their services - for cases when the person knows what they want - on an no advice basis -
    I do wonder whether that fits in with the request for advice on a forum

I do worry that the wrong plan can sometimes be purchased when buying "execution only"

this is even more of an issue when looking at more complex products like CiC

--

Note they do charge either commission or a fee - most advisers will do this( its the differing level of fees/ commission charged against the differing levels of "advice" provided)

Also note that there appears to be a major provider missing from the list of the "site" mentioned,
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • brm_2
    brm_2 Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    Beckipeg wrote:
    The renewal document has just come through for my Critical Illness cover and the charges have gone from £48.26 per month to £61.95 per month for £155,035.00 cover. My husband (main income earner) and I (home maker) took out similar separate Skandia policies around 9 years ago and the cover is good - more than most available currently. Since then we have had 2 children (5 + 6) and paid off our mortgage but taken on the cost of school fees. My husband has life insurance cover.
    Is there a "rule of thumb" to suggest how much cover we actually need? At our review last year we decided that it was better to reduce costs by reducing cover rather than changing policy but what would be a reasonable amount?

Thanks,
    Beckipeg
    You and your husband seem to have everything under very good control.
    Have you both done a risk assesment regarding your current situation?.
    Do you know what critical illness's you are covered for? for what you are both paying each month or as a total.
    You say you have paid off your mortgage but are now paying school fee's for both of your children which is what all parents aspire to.
    Please consider whether you actually need to pay this type and amount of insurance each month after your assessment.
    Follow the 6 'Ps' principle.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport