🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Scotland UK

Options

Comments

• Mattjimf
    Mattjimf Posts: 556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dogrose wrote:
    Its only when it comes to the media that the terms scottish/english/british are interchangeable depending on the situation ;)
    When an English athelete is winning, they are English, when they lose they are British. When a Scottish athelete is winning they are British, when they lose they are Scottish. Same goes for Welsh and Irish atheletes.
    I don't hate the English, just the English media.
    Sometimes i surprise myself by being right.
  • Smiley_Mum
    Smiley_Mum Posts: 3,836 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yes I do. Scottish and proud of it, with a smattering of Irish too.
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • one-non-blonde
    Options
    ailuro2 wrote:
    Yes, but I've only ever had to do it abroad.

Abroad also including south of the border but especially France... in my experience, they neither understand nor care about the difference (despite the Auld Alliance). We're all 'Rosbif'! :rolleyes:
    If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor...
  • ckerrd
    ckerrd Posts: 2,641 Forumite
    Options
    Sometimes but not all the time - not that important.
    We all evolve - get on with it
  • jockettuk
    jockettuk Posts: 5,809 Forumite
    Options
    I definitely let them know I'm Scottish and not English, although coming from the town I am and speaking with a "Galloway Irish" accent I sometimes have to let them know I'm not Irish either!
    hey ive even been asked if im from wales???? whats that all about..Im scottish and im also british but im not english or irish or welsh lol..

my daughter is english and she wants to wear her england top i say go for it as she as individual as i am..
    Those we love don't go away,They walk beside us every day,Unseen, unheard, but always near,
    Still loved, still missed and very dear
    Our thoughts are ever with you,Though you have passed away.And those who loved you dearly,
    Are thinking of you today.
  • Eels100
    Eels100 Posts: 984 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't dream of letting anyone labour under the mistaken impression that I'm anything but Scottish. As if?!
  • scotgirl
    scotgirl Posts: 805 Forumite
    Options
    I would correct someone if they thought I was English but I always put my nationality as British.
    The Best Things in Life Are Free
  • Beancounter
    Beancounter Posts: 1,076 Forumite
    Options
    Scottish everytime!

I had a bit of fun with a timeshare tout in Las Vegas this year. He heard me talking to my wife and said "you guys from England?" and I just stared at him blankly! He then tried Austrailia, New Zealand and several eastern european countries before I put him out of his misery:D

I have often felt like learning some Gaelic phrases for such eventuallities, that would really confuse them!
  • niccy
    niccy Posts: 597 Forumite
    Options
    when do you "become" a Scot,English,etc

i.e. my twins born in aberdeen lived in scotland all their lives but english parents
    living on the "edge"
  • jockettuk
    jockettuk Posts: 5,809 Forumite
    Options
    niccy wrote:
    when do you "become" a Scot,English,etc

i.e. my twins born in aberdeen lived in scotland all their lives but english parents
    to me its the place your born.. i was born in glasgow lived there for 18 yrs the other 20 odd years been living in england.. daughter born in england andshe is english no matter what nationality her parents are..
    Those we love don't go away,They walk beside us every day,Unseen, unheard, but always near,
    Still loved, still missed and very dear
    Our thoughts are ever with you,Though you have passed away.And those who loved you dearly,
    Are thinking of you today.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family