Credit Card Security Hint

13»

Comments

• theloft
    theloft Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Note for the Great Shredder Hunt click here

Martin, did you really mean to include a SHREDDER in your "Ideas for Romantic Gifts" post ?

On second thoughts, this could be a good idea for shredding the naff anniversary cards, my wife insists on buying ! (only kidding)
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • :-/ I also queried with Lidl about their receipts and apparently they are changing their equipment so this will not continue to be a problem. At least they are trying!
  • I read somewhere that once you have shredded your paper you shouldn't throw it all out together in the same bin. Isn't that taking it a bit far? Who would sit there doing that jigsaw just to get your details? I do seperate credit cards, id cards etc but not my shredded paper. Maybe i should as I don't have a cross shredder.

My shredder is from WHSmith £9.99 I think. Its basic and jams up easily.
    No links in signatures by site rules - Forum Team 2
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well sad as it may be...I am that person. ;D

I shred everything, receipts, letters, envelopes etc with a cross cut shredder, then when I empty the shredder bin I mix the contents up and put some bits in one bin bag and the rest in another usually covered with nasties....like remnants of children's soggy breakfast, old teabags etc.

It would have to be a very determined thief who would try to get anything from my bin. ;)
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • People taking an imprint of a credit card as a deposit (e.g. car hire, wedding suit hire etc) can use your details without leaving any trace back to themselves.

The imprint is paper-based and so no transactions are generated, there is no data to link subsequent fraudulent transactions to this store that took the imprint.

Whereas it would be easy to spot that a large amount of fraud took place after VISA card-holders had dinner at the Dog and Duck pub for example.

Apparently the providers (e.g. VISA) never checked any fraud under £500. Now that banks have more responsiblity due to chip-and-pin the banks may investigate more but they are dependent on people remembering that they hired a suit using a card imprint as well as the petrol stations and restaruants they went to.

see how I posted this towards the end of the wedding season...sigh
  • James
    James Posts: 2,059 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Shredding is good advice for some things, but card and personal details are being sold as revealed by a Channel 4 News Video.

Here's another way of deterring fraudsters and protecting yourself (click here)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure