Selling a house left to siblings

Options
Hello,

I need some advice.

Last year, my father died, and me and my 4 siblings had no idea what to do with his house (mother died at earlier date). It's all been a long-drawn out process as I was there caring for him, so had nowhere to move to afterwards so I didn't leave initially, then we got a builder in to do some work before selling, he ripped us off leaving the work unfinished.

I've had enough of it all, and just want to sell as is, despite the house not being finished, especially as my siblings don't have the time to help sort it out anymore. It generally gets left to me, but I can't do it anymore.

I've now had a very good friend ask to buy it, at an okay price.

Thing is, my gut is telling me a bad idea...I know I'll be stuck in the middle of my siblings and my friend and legal discussions, and one sibling won't agree to what they'll see as a low rate. My friend wants it as she hates her current house, she's had a bad break-up and feels she could do a lot with the house.

However, I've been there before with friends mixing business and pleasure and it was a nightmare. So thinking of just not going down that road. But I've no experience of house-buying so thinking maybe I'm over-reacting. Anyone had experience of it being okay?

And dealing with a house after someone's died... all my siblings want rid of it but despite a recent flurry of activity now no-one doing anything due to being busy. Plus, it depresses everyone. I say to them "we need to do x or y" they nod and agree, so now I've given up. But we all need money and we're fed-up, but no-one doing it.

Should I just get it on the market and get on with it? We've a cheap quote to finish botched building work but unless I deal with it I can't see it getting done so just want to move on. And everytime I take time off work I lose money as I freelance.

If anyone else had to deal with house stuff and family I'd appreciate advice.. going bonkers.

Thanks.

Comments

• hardpressed
    hardpressed Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If the proceeds of the house are to be shared between you and your siblings then I think it would be best to put it up for sale through an Estate Agent, if you friend wants to buy it she can then do so through the agent. Then there can be no disagreement about her getting it cheap.
  • mountainofdebt
    Options
    Asking a stupid question but where would you live once the house is sold, regardless of when, what state and to whom?

Have you thought about buying it yourself?
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • southern_woman
    Options
    If the proceeds of the house are to be shared between you and your siblings then I think it would be best to put it up for sale through an Estate Agent, if you friend wants to buy it she can then do so through the agent. Then there can be no disagreement about her getting it cheap.

Yes, I think you're right. At least then no-one resents each other. Thanks.
  • southern_woman
    Options
    Asking a stupid question but where would you live once the house is sold, regardless of when, what state and to whom?

Have you thought about buying it yourself?

I thought about it but I can't afford to buy my siblings out. I work in a different city as there were no jobs in my hometown... I freelance and staying with one brother at the moment, and because I was out of work for a while as I was caring there is no way I can get a mortgage to buy them out.

3 of my siblings, would let me continue to live there, but it's depressing me being in the house when not at work elsewhere (father was ill for years, and after he died I couldn't handle it). I wish I could just think of it financially, but want to move on.

My friend who wants to buy it has said I can live with her as long as I want (but she may change her mind.. will see). So long-term I'll rent or considering living with my boyfriend... but would prefer not to as it's the house he shared with his ex-wife. I'm sick of depending upon charity... (I may be being negative there but would really like a permanent base) but I guess you need to do what you need to do.

Hopefully I'll eventually sort out a smaller mortgage elsewhere when we sell this place and I have a small deposit. It's a lousy time for everyone in the UK at the moment to be honest I'm beginning to think, at least I have some people to give me a hand.
  • gizmo111
    gizmo111 Posts: 2,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Get a couple of estate agents to value the house in its current state and see how far out that is out from your friends offer, rememberyou won't have to pay the EA fee if you sell to freind privately. Maybe you could come to some deal with your freind about staying there rent free and topping up the sale price for your siblings with what you would have made in rent payments to your freind.
    Mama read so much about the dangers of drinking alcohol and eating chocolate that she immediately gave up reading.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,116 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A very basic question: did Dad leave a will, and if so who is / are the executor(s)? Because if he left a will, it's for them to decide when to sell, to whom and for how much, and anyone who doesn't like it can do the other thing, AFAIK.

If he didn't, who is responsible for the Letters of Administration? Which is what you need to get if the estate is over £5000, to make sure HMRC get the Inheritance Tax if it's due.

Because again, it's THAT person who is responsible for this decision, and if they don't like it they can do the other thing.

And if that person is you, then do the right thing for you, sounds as if you've earned it ...

You could of course write to your siblings and set out the situation: my mate Fred has offered £x for the house. Estate agents A and B have valued it at £y and £z, so Fred's price seems fair. If anyone wants to take the responsibility for selling on then they're most welcome, but if no progress has been made by the end of this month I shall accept Fred's offer.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • southern_woman
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    A very basic question: did Dad leave a will, and if so who is / are the executor(s)? Because if he left a will, it's for them to decide when to sell, to whom and for how much, and anyone who doesn't like it can do the other thing, AFAIK.

I meant to say a very big thank you for that post! I didn't know that.

The person who is an executor is one of my siblings, and he's a lawyer... so is obviously very aware of the legal situation. He kept saying how badly he wants to sell but does nothing about it e.g putting it on the market, actually sorting the place out.

I'm off up there this weekend, getting estate agent in, and reminding them if they want it sold... this is what needs doing. And maybe they should do it with me :T
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,116 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I meant to say a very big thank you for that post! I didn't know that.

The person who is an executor is one of my siblings, and he's a lawyer... so is obviously very aware of the legal situation. He kept saying how badly he wants to sell but does nothing about it e.g putting it on the market, actually sorting the place out.

I'm off up there this weekend, getting estate agent in, and reminding them if they want it sold... this is what needs doing. And maybe they should do it with me :T
    Right. I'm not sure if an estate agent will accept 'instructions' from you, or indeed anyone but the executor. This isn't something I've had to do, but my understanding is that the executors have to be ones signing everything.

Nothing to stop you getting valuations etc, but it is going to have to involve your sibling at an early stage.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When my Mum died i bought her house, it was valued and i said if the rest of the family said it was ok i'd buy it. I reminded them i couldn't buy until i'd sold my own so everyone would need to wait for a 'share', but the alternative was to sell Mums house on the open market and we'd have to wait anyway to share the proceeds. Everyone agreed although one sister was annoyed when it took so long. But like you Op it was me that was left to sort everything out.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport