We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

My Brussel Plants

Options
ukbill69
ukbill69 Posts: 2,789 Forumite
Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
From this

32553_404507967216_728312216_4683185_7985604_n.jpg

To this

68366_445513537216_728312216_5732338_7437536_n.jpg
Kind Regards
Bill

Comments

• gazza975526570
    Options
    Looks like you planted them much too close together - i often find its more economical to plant them in cell trays and then transplant them to their final position - plus you can then firm them in well and less prone to attacks
  • ukbill69
    Options
    Yer I guess, buy first time round, so really happy.
    Kind Regards
    Bill
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You need to net them to keep the butterflies and pigeons off! You could make a batten to hook onto that back fenceto hold the net and just drop it down at picking time. I agree, bit close for optimum growth...I give my BS plants a two foot circle each when I space them out, and they usually grow to about three feet tall.
    Val.
  • ukbill69
    Options
    valk_scot wrote: »
    You need to net them to keep the butterflies and pigeons off! You could make a batten to hook onto that back fenceto hold the net and just drop it down at picking time. I agree, bit close for optimum growth...I give my BS plants a two foot circle each when I space them out, and they usually grow to about three feet tall.

I have done for months, but dont think butterfly's are about now its getting colder.
    Kind Regards
    Bill
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ukbill69 wrote: »
    I have done for months, but dont think butterfly's are about now its getting colder.

Well the pigeons will start getting hungry soon, belive me. And pigeons love brassica plants! I grow mine in a three foot high cage made of netting, scrap alkathene piping and long canes. Works a treat.
    Val.
  • jollyanna
    jollyanna Posts: 356 Forumite
    Options
    They look great Bill. Mine were chewed to within an inch of their lives by hundreds of caterpillers which I used to go out and pick off twice daily, however, I left the plants to their fate and they have picked up remarkably in the last two weeks. There are signs of buttons forming but if I don't get sprouts, I'm looking forward to tasty sprout tops.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport