Council Tax Cost Cutting: reduce your band and grab any discounts Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,663 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When I joined the VOA over 50 yrs ago there were 200 local offices, when I left 35 yrs later, there were less than 100, and since then local offices seem to have disappeared to be replaced by "regional units". It is possible they may have a caseworker who deals exclusively with the West Midlands. About 20 yrs ago for a few months I had to deal with the CT appeals for a neighbouring office (and different county) of which I had little previous knowledge. However with computerised records, (even more so than when I was there) Google Maps StreetView and on line OS plans, it would not be that difficult to familiarise oneself with anywhere in the country.and the banding patterns.

The VOA response seems just a slightly modified dismissive standard reply. 
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • westie2128
    westie2128 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    edited 31 December 2021 at 7:06PM
    Options
    When I joined the VOA over 50 yrs ago there were 200 local offices, when I left 35 yrs later, there were less than 100, and since then local offices seem to have disappeared to be replaced by "regional units". It is possible they may have a caseworker who deals exclusively with the West Midlands. About 20 yrs ago for a few months I had to deal with the CT appeals for a neighbouring office (and different county) of which I had little previous knowledge. However with computerised records, (even more so than when I was there) Google Maps StreetView and on line OS plans, it would not be that difficult to familiarise oneself with anywhere in the country.and the banding patterns.

Thanks for explaining, just seemed odd to me they were so far away. 

Does a slightly modified dismissive standard reply mean they’ve had a good look at my case or just a quick browse and pinged the response out to get rid of me (in your opinion of course) ? I’ve gone back and asked questions but no response as yet via email as just goes to generic inbox address. 
  • lincroft1710
    Options

Does a slightly modified dismissive standard reply mean they’ve had a good look at my case or just a quick browse and pinged the response out to get rid of me (in your opinion of course) ? I’ve gone back and asked questions but no response as yet via email as just goes to generic inbox address. 
    I honestly don't know. The cynic in me says it is the latter.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • westie2128
    Options

I honestly don't know. The cynic in me says it is the latter.
    Thanks and Happy New Year to you! 

I’m a bit of a cynic too tbf, esp when they didn’t answer any of my question from the initial inquiry re banding and just a generic letter which point points are invalid on. 

Hopefully they’ll reply to my response email but if not then I’ll give them a call the week after next once everyone’s back at work and got over the initial few busy days. 
  • westie2128
    Options
    Well I went back and asked questions to their decision and this is the response today. How are you even supposed to understand their reasoning if you can’t speak to the right person  :/

Thank you for your email dated 30 December 2021 which we received on 30 December 2021. 

Unfortunately, you cannot appeal the decision as it was an informal review.

We will only undertake a further review where compelling new evidence is brought to our attention to suggest the band, or the earlier decision, is wrong.

You can find more information about council tax at: www.gov.uk/challenge-council-tax-band

Yours sincerely

Customer Service Centre

• lincroft1710
    Options
    Well I went back and asked questions to their decision and this is the response today. How are you even supposed to understand their reasoning if you can’t speak to the right person  :/

Thank you for your email dated 30 December 2021 which we received on 30 December 2021. 

We will only undertake a further review where compelling new evidence is brought to our attention to suggest the band, or the earlier decision, is wrong.

You can find more information about council tax at: www.gov.uk/challenge-council-tax-band

Yours sincerely

Customer Service Centre

As an absolute last resort you could ask your MP for their help. Just set out the facts and avoid emotion or criticism other than "my evidence leads me to believe the VOA have not reached the correct decision".

However the VOA are well used to dealing with MPs' letters and it is not difficult to reply to them and dismiss a CT payer's argument. MPs rarely follow anything up when the VOA say no. But it is worth a try
  • westie2128
    Options

Yours sincerely

Customer Service Centre

As an absolute last resort you could ask your MP for their help. Just set out the facts and avoid emotion or criticism other than "my evidence leads me to believe the VOA have not reached the correct decision".

However the VOA are well used to dealing with MPs' letters and it is not difficult to reply to them and dismiss a CT payer's argument. MPs rarely follow anything up when the VOA say no. But it is worth a try
    Would be my absolute last resort as our MP is only ever helpful if a camera is pointed on him! 

Sorry to keep asking you so many questions, but who should I address a complaint to, via email preferably?  Not a complaint about the decision, about their total lack of actually replying to any question I’ve asked. 

And do you know what info about neighbouring properties they are allowed to give you if I put in a Freedom of Information request?  I know they can’t disclose sale prices, but do I have a right to know the data they hold on neighbouring properties size and modernisation etc, or not?
  • Penguinloz
    Options

Yours sincerely

Customer Service Centre

Would be my absolute last resort as our MP is only ever helpful if a camera is pointed on him! 

Sorry to keep asking you so many questions, but who should I address a complaint to, via email preferably?  Not a complaint about the decision, about their total lack of actually replying to any question I’ve asked. 

And do you know what info about neighbouring properties they are allowed to give you if I put in a Freedom of Information request?  I know they can’t disclose sale prices, but do I have a right to know the data they hold on neighbouring properties size and modernisation etc, or not?
    Details on how to make a complaint can be found on the website https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/valuation-office-agency-code-of-practice-for-complaints/valuation-office-agency-code-of-pratice-for-complaints

• lincroft1710
    Options

Yours sincerely

Customer Service Centre

I am sure about FOI, there were definitely some exemptions, but cannot remember what they were and they could have changed anyway. I certainly used to give out full details (excluding sale prices) of properties well before the FOI came into being. I would always preface it with "My records show", which actually meant that the info may or may not be currently correct. 
  • westie2128
    westie2128 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 January 2022 at 12:10PM
    Options

Yours sincerely

Customer Service Centre

I am sure about FOI, there were definitely some exemptions, but cannot remember what they were and they could have changed anyway. I certainly used to give out full details (excluding sale prices) of properties well before the FOI came into being. I would always preface it with "My records show", which actually meant that the info may or may not be currently correct. 
    Thank you. Sorry been a hectic few days! 
    I have rang them this morning and honestly, can’t believe what hard work it is. 
    Spent half an hour on hold to be told they can’t give me any information over the phone and wouldn’t discuss any neighbouring properties with me. 
    I can’t speak to the caseworker either, because they are working from home so have no option to transfer calls. 
    They did finally agree to email the caseworker and ask if they wouldn’t mind calling me or responding to my email directly …..and to call back after 2 weeks if I haven’t heard anything. 
    Talk about banging your head on a brick wall  :s 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure