Mbna

Options
I have read on here that some companies stop their promotional rates for balance transfers if you make a late payment.

I usually pay my MBNA bill in my local bank but for the last week I have been really ill so paid via their website. I just checked my account and they still haven't received payment and have marked me for a late payment.

Has anyone got the t&c at hand to see if MBNA stop the interest free offer because I made a late payment. I can't find mine anywhere and would hate for this offer to be stopped. I just transfered all my cards on to it. I thought payments via their website were instant or at least take a day or two but its now been 4!!!!
:p

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    leon103 wrote:
    Has anyone got the t&c at hand...
    MBNA_T&C's wrote:
    2b The interest we will charge on transactions, including for introductory promotions, will be as set out below. Note that we will not increase any promotional rate during the promotional period, unless you do not keep to the terms and conditions. If you do not keep to the terms and conditions, we may, at any time, totally withdraw any promotional rates which apply to your account from the day after your last statement date and apply the standard rates...
    There have been many reports on this board recently where people have had their 0% removed.

Very sad really, since a £5 minimum payment DD (organised via a 2 minute phone call to an 0800 freephone number) would have prevented it.
  • Moggles_2
    Moggles_2 Posts: 6,097 Forumite
    Options
    Yes. MBNA will certainly terminate your interest-free offer.

If I were you, I'd phone customer services rightaway - it's a Freefone number after all - and explain your difficulties. In view of your illness, they might be prepared to reconsider if this is your first late payment.
    People who don't know their rights, don't actually have those rights.
  • HazelEyes_3
    Options
    leon103 wrote:
    I have read on here that some companies stop their promotional rates for balance transfers if you make a late payment.

I usually pay my MBNA bill in my local bank but for the last week I have been really ill so paid via their website. I just checked my account and they still haven't received payment and have marked me for a late payment.

Has anyone got the t&c at hand to see if MBNA stop the interest free offer because I made a late payment. I can't find mine anywhere and would hate for this offer to be stopped. I just transfered all my cards on to it. I thought payments via their website were instant or at least take a day or two but its now been 4!!!!

Phone them immediately and explain. The website transaction won't show until they have received the money from your bank/card but they should be able to see when you made the payment. I received a statement late on a new 0% card and wouldn't have been able to make the payment in time so called customer services. The customer adviser had to check with a supervisor but they took my debit card details over the phone and the 0% was retained. She confirmed that if I had made a late payment without calling the 0% would have been withdrawn automatically.
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • leon103
    leon103 Posts: 732 Forumite
    Options
    There have been many reports on this board recently where people have had their 0% removed.

Very sad really, since a £5 minimum payment DD (organised via a 2 minute phone call to an 0800 freephone number) would have prevented it.

Thanks.

I had phoned to make the payment over the phone and set up a DD but got stuck in queues and had another call coming through so had to take that - waiting for the doctors to ring back.
  • leon103
    Options
    HazelEyes wrote:
    Phone them immediately and explain. The website transaction won't show until they have received the money from your bank/card but they should be able to see when you made the payment. I received a statement late on a new 0% card and wouldn't have been able to make the payment in time so called customer services. The customer adviser had to check with a supervisor but they took my debit card details over the phone and the 0% was retained. She confirmed that if I had made a late payment without calling the 0% would have been withdrawn automatically.

OK thanks I will call now.

Money went out my account instantly. But isn't showing on the MBNA account.
  • leon103
    Options
    Just rang and they have put the 0% interest back on. Now time to set up DD
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    I had this problem as the DD wasnt set up in time and i thought it was ,they instantly withdraw the 0% offer i rang them up and they reverted me back to 0%, the phone op said you only get one mistake after that they wont reinstate the 0%
  • leon103
    Options
    deanos wrote:
    I had this problem as the DD wasnt set up in time and i thought it was ,they instantly withdraw the 0% offer i rang them up and they reverted me back to 0%, the phone op said you only get one mistake after that they wont reinstate the 0%

Yeah they made sure I knew I only get the one chance.
  • thesaint
    thesaint Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was two days late paying my payment on the six month, and my phone call to customer services was fruitless. 0% ended immediately.
    If you got yours reinstated, count your blessings.
    Well life is harsh, hug me don't reject me.
  • Sleepy_2
    Sleepy_2 Posts: 95 Forumite
    Options
    I begged and pleaded when I went about £5 over my limit for a couple of days, but there was no moving on the decision on the late payment fee even though I had never been late or over the limit in the last 3-4 years.

I didnt realise that this would terminate the 0% offer, even the statment with late payment penalty showed next months interest as being estimated at £0, but I managed to obtain another penalty for not covering the interest when it came through for the next month at £70 as I didnt realise it reverted back to the normal rate.

2 faults now, I was turning quickly into a bad customer and the next month the IR went to 29%.

I paid off the balance in full, the customer rentention team offered to remove all the charges agreeing that they were unfair and didnt think that I should have been charged as no problem previously.

They're in my past now - I've learned my lesson.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure