We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Smoke Alarm Check Day

Options

Comments

• hrafndot
    hrafndot Posts: 2,155 Forumite
    Options
    my smoke alarm went off every time my partner cooked. Can anyone recommend a make which is easily switchable on and off?
  • melipona
    melipona Posts: 492 Forumite
    Options
    All the male makes I know can be switched off by giving them a tin or two of the amber nectar and a tv remote. Turning us on again well........
  • hrafndot
    hrafndot Posts: 2,155 Forumite
    Options
    the amber nectar works very well at turning me on as well!! I've made tv so remote, we dont have one, he comforts himself by cooking smokey things
  • across
    across Posts: 1,648 Forumite
    Options
    i try to check mine every week now because without my neighbour hearing my smoke alarm my house would have burnt down the week before easter because my cooker caught fire due to the thermostat in automatic oven not working properly, so my advice is to check them as often as possible not to wait for the the odd date when the clocks change make it that day plus more dates, take care!
    we are still hoping to be straight for christmas and the fire happened almost seven months ago!
  • BobProperty
    BobProperty Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    callansdad wrote:
    .....We also reccomend that you change the battery once a year whether or not it has ever been used.....
    So it should be battery change day then. Let's try and get some battery manufacturers on board and make some noise about it.

As an aside on this, I might need a "paper bag over the head smiley". I thought earlier on today, you've been going on about this, and the post has been bumped, so check your smoke alarm, Bob.
    Guess what? It didn't :eek: ing work did it? The connector wasn't on properly :mad:

Bob Property - sleeping slightly more soundly tonight. :D
    A house isn't a home without a cat.
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
    I have writer's block - I can't begin to tell you about it.
    You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
    It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
  • ScoobieGirl
    Options
    hrafndot wrote:
    my smoke alarm went off every time my partner cooked. Can anyone recommend a make which is easily switchable on and off?

My Kiddie brand one has a "yes I know I burnt the bacon - shut up!!!" button which silences it for a few minutes. Very handy
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    Sadly this offer has finished which was free smoke alarm batteries for people living in Scotland but its not a bad thing to check out the website.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=284311

I got my free battery this week and they will remind me in six months when they recommend that the batteries should be changed :)
  • CAE
    CAE Posts: 644 Forumite
    Options
    I bet Arundel Fire Station wished they had followed your advice. Trouble is they didn't even have a fire alarm. Check this out! It only happened today.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/southern_counties/6083940.stm
  • ScoobieGirl
    Options
    CAE wrote:
    I bet Arundel Fire Station wished they had followed your advice. Trouble is they didn't even have a fire alarm. Check this out! It only happened today.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/southern_counties/6083940.stm

Unbelievable!
  • iglimpse
    iglimpse Posts: 235 Forumite
    Options
    Just checked my smoke alarm with the pork chops tonight, happens about once per month! Good advice from firefighter re more than one. In average semi where would you put them, apart from hall downstairs and top of landing?

I think the idea suggested about an annual check is excellent but it is aimed at the types of people who NEVER think of checking it. Once a year is better than nothing for those types. After this suggestion, I will always now think of my smoke alarm on clock change day.

You reminded me that my Mum always used to spring clean the house around the time of the spring change. I had never considered it but both clock change days are good reminders for lots of different things...new thread perhaps.

If my cooking improves...I am in trouble!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport