Charity fundraising article discussion

Options
124»

Comments

• pbfhpunk
    pbfhpunk Posts: 223 Forumite
    Options
    Has anybody got any advice about setting up a crowdfunding page?
    My wife died suddenly last week and friends and family want to contribute towards funeral/memorial costs. Also if donations exceed the costs I would
    like the surplus to be passed onto 2 charities that are relevant to what she loved and who she was. Many Thanks.

Really sorry to hear that. Just GIvivng do Crowdfunding https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding but crowdfunding doesn't allow gift aid, as you're not a charity (so you wouldn't be able to claim gift aid anyway. I would maybe set up crowdfunding for funeral contributions but also set up pages on JG or VMG (which does have a better system for raising money for two charities). Alternatively, you can contact the charities you wish to help and they can send you donation envelopes to collect donations on the day. You can also set up a tribute fund so people can continue to donate in the future, some charities have this functionality on their sites or you can use a third party site like muchloved.com
    Hell yeah!!
  • grantem2000
    Options
    harry66 wrote: »
    TotalGiving is used by a local charity I know and they are happy with the service.
    I am surprised Martin has not added it to his list....
    My wife and I run a small charity. We use TotalGiving and I have nothing but praise for them. Like MyDonate, there is zero charge from TotalGiving to a charity for using the site.

Another feature of TotalGiving is that donations go direct to the charity. By comparison, with JustGiving, for example, donors pay JustGiving who pay the charity according to their terms. They deduct their commission and pass on donations on a fixed schedule. Might be monthly; I am not sure because, as a small charity, we can't justify the JustGiving subscription so we don't use them.

As donations with TotalGiving go direct to the charity, there is essentially no risk to charity donations should TotalGiving stop operating: TotalGiving never have the donations.

It would be great to see the main article updated to include TotalGiving and other changes over the last couple of years.
  • RichardMMM
    Options
    I was wondering why CAF Online is not mentioned in this overview.
  • Ash_Pole
    Ash_Pole Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I work for a charity, we've been using LocalGiving but it's expensive. I googled and found Martin's article.

Seems that Wonderful has been overwhelmed and aren't currently accepting new charities, and MyDonate are closing at the end of the month. Golden Giving are next in line, or does anyone know of any others that give better value?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure