Cheap Train Fares guide discussion

Options

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    darlo-ray wrote: »
    its coming back at £177 it would be about £70 if i took the car so theres a big difference
    As suggested by Geordieracer, get a Family and Friends Railcard.
    Get one here for £19.50 instead of the usual £26.
    Be quick though, offer ends today.

With the F&F railcard you have to pay for a child.
    But that £177 drops to £133.60 for all three of you.
    (plus railcard, total = £153.10)
  • englishhammer_2
    Options
    Never really had the need for trains but for the next 6 months I have to make a few trips to and from Par/St Austell in Cornwall to either Leeds or Bradford. From my knowledge it will have to go via Plymouth but that's all I know. I can't seem to find a "flexible date" option like I can with flights?
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Never really had the need for trains but for the next 6 months I have to make a few trips to and from Par/St Austell in Cornwall to either Leeds or Bradford. From my knowledge it will have to go via Plymouth but that's all I know. I can't seem to find a "flexible date" option like I can with flights?
    Best place to start might be here.

An Off Peak Return can be £148.50.

Advance Singles can theoretically be as low as £19.50 each way.

Fares for each trip need to be researched seperately, so without dates it's difficult to help furhter.

There often very cheap tickets from Cornwall to Exeter, so it might be worth splitting there.
  • Snapelover
    Snapelover Posts: 435 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone help me find the best price travelling from Doncaster to Newcastle on Friday 18th March and returning on Sunday 20th March 1 adult.

Thanks in advance.
  • Vikki_74
    Vikki_74 Posts: 750 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone. We ended up booking Warrington Central to London Euston via Manchester Picadilly for £18pp one way then grabbed some of the cheap £11.50 tickets coming back from Euston direct to Warrington Bank Quay. Total £29.50pp which I don't think is too bad and shouldn't be too much hassle or too long a journey.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

The off peak return is a sort of flexible date option - the only things it ties you to are travelling out on the set date and to return within a month. Its price doesn't vary. You are not tied to particular trains other than off peak - which will be most if not all trains on that route
  • harven
    Options
    Hi, I hoped you might be able to help!

I'm looking to visit Glasgow in the last weekend of May - traveling up from London on Thursday the 26th after 6.30pm and back on Monday the 30th sometime in the afternoon. My family are up there so it's a journey I do a lot, and usually the combination of booking in advance and a young person's railcard means I can get a single ticket for around £13-£25. However, I'm having trouble finding any good deal at the moment! I can't get better than around a £70 return, with first class not too much more than standard. Is this just bank holiday bad luck? Or is there some trick to cheap tickets that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.
  • Richard_of_York
    Options
    Have been looking on here and some of you guys appear to be genius' - especially with the whole split ticketing thing.

The thing is we have had a family bereavement (this morning) and it looks as though the funeral is going to be Monday 28th March (perhaps) - which I know is very soon.

To get to St Austel in time from York we will need to head down on the sunday (27th March). Will need to travel back either late aftenoon on Monday 28th after the funeral or on Tuesday 29th.

The cheapest tickets I can find are about £122 return with about 3 changes each way. Changes OK for me but perhaps not if my parents travel down by train too.

Anyone got any split ticketing suggestions to make things cheaper too??? Anyhelp greatly appreciated!!
  • Snapelover
    Snapelover Posts: 435 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wanting to travel from Newcastle to London on Friday 24th June. Friday 1st April is the 12 week advance booking date but I won't be able to book my return tickets, for Sunday 26th June, until 3rd April so my question is do I book singles for the outward journey or will the price of the outward journey roughly be the same if I wait a couple of days to book the whole outward/return journey?

Also, a member of our party is joining us at Doncaster - can I book their tickets or will they have to book themselves? Mainly for getting the tickets really - can they be printed off by anyone and not just me?

Also what will be the cheapest way to do this journey?
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Firstly the 12 weeks is not set in concrete - particularly for weekend travel. You need to wait for the cheap tickets to be released, not book in panic at the 12 week mark and land up with full price tickets you could have bought on the day and rather than waiting a few days - or even weeks - and getting cheap tickets.

You can book the Doncaster tickets but they will have to be posted - splitting the order to two different addresses shouldn't be a problem but you could always post them on. He wouldn't be able to pick them up at a machine though - you need the card that was used to pay for them for that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure