Item returned by Royal mail as 'not called for'

Options
Hi
Looking for some advice before I do anything.
I sold a pair of girls shoes on the 5th September , buyer paid via paypal on the 5th and the item was posted 2nd class on the 8th Spetmber.
Today I have received the parcel back with 2 red royal mail stickers on it.
1st one says a 'P739 Notice left on the 10th September - which I presume to mean the buyer wasn't in and they left a card.
2nd red sticker sasy 'Royal mail have been unable to deliver this item because.. and a tick next too 'not called for' dated the 29th September. I presume this means the buyer never went and picked up the item?

What should I do... I have had no communicaton from the buyer at all that they have not received their parcel.... they are actively buying and selling on ebay currently.

I obvoiulsy don't want to pay postage again but what do I have to do- offer to send again but they pay or should I be refunding them the cost of the item but not the postage?

Thanks
AJ

Comments

• Crowqueen
    Crowqueen Posts: 5,726 Forumite
    Options
    Contact the buyer and come to some sort of agreement with them. They may not have noticed the card, and to be honest recorded delivery is a bit of a lottery as to whether it's actually been left at all.

If the item is worth less than £41 it's often better not to bother sending recorded at all as this is one of the pitfalls associated with RD.
    "Well, it's election year, Bill, we'd rather people didn't exercise common sense..." - Jed Bartlet, The West Wing, season 4

Am now Crowqueen, MRes (Law) - on to the PhD!
  • goingsenile
    Options
    Sorry should have been clearer, item was not sent recorded just normal?
    Aj
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They probably do not know they bid on it & won it. Probably the dog, He was hoping it would
    fit through the letterbox so he can get 1st dibs on it.

My postman has failed to leave cards before now. Noticed a new one lately, Too many complaints?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• *Kat*
    *Kat* Posts: 1,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just email the seller informing them you have received the product back and see if they just want you to resend it, though, I would probably ask for more pennies for reshipping :S
  • Crowqueen
    Options
    They probably do not know they bid on it & won it. Probably the dog, He was hoping it would
    fit through the letterbox so he can get 1st dibs on it.

My postman has failed to leave cards before now. Noticed a new one lately, Too many complaints?
    If they paid for it, I doubt it.

Like it or not, the way RM are dealing with things lately, this may not be the buyer's fault. Recorded items are only kept for a week, many buyers are out during the day when the post is delivered, and may not be able to get to the sorting office to pick something up. This is one of the reasons why recorded is a waste of money IMO.
    "Well, it's election year, Bill, we'd rather people didn't exercise common sense..." - Jed Bartlet, The West Wing, season 4

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,208 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Crowqueen, the item wasn't recorded.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Crowqueen
    Options
    OK, my bad. I assumed the card left was for a recorded item.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure