🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

cost of running a fan heater?

Options
2»

Comments

• ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    Options
    Premier wrote: »
    For the reasons given above, probably not much to worry about.

It appears the lodger is only using about 2kWh per day or about 20p.
    Ok so they've only been there half the 42 days, so lets call it 4 units per day, about 40p or less than £3 a week.

Ok, that's £3 more than you may have expected, but that's the risk you take with taking in lodgers. Change the rent if you really can't afford it.

I'm just not getting it. How can my genius maths brain work it out at £100+ which was then reduced to £70+ due to the differing costs of the electricity suddently become £3 per week?

Obviously £3 a week isn't an issue but £122 a month would be for me. With all of those differing calculations coming in I will have to wait until the next bill comes in and will pray that we don't have another winter like last year.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Does the lodger have equal access to the shared parts of the house? If so, tell the lodger it's rent + half share of the bills.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would like to lounge around in T-shirts and shorts, too!
    The reason that I don't is because I can't afford it.

It is your job to have heating on, but not to keep a tropical aquarium.

You will have to explain that you can't deal with her habits,
    and if she can't change, then she needs to find a place more suitable to her needs. There is no need to be nasty, tell her that there are people who like it hot, and keep their houses boiling,
    but you neither want it nor can afford to do so.

I would set end of term as a deadline for her to move out, as you should give her decent notice anyway. This will give her time to re-take her exams, too.

She needs to learn the facts of life sooner or later.
    If she can't pass her exams, sooner.:p
  • ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    Options
    Does the lodger have equal access to the shared parts of the house? If so, tell the lodger it's rent + half share of the bills.

She has her own room and living room and shared access to bathrooms and kitchen. the bills are inclusive.

I don't have a problem with challenging her, I just wanted to be sure of the facts before challenging her. If it is like Premier posted and it will only be a few pounds a week I have no issue but if it is closer to £100 extra a month she will be going.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    2kW for 12 hours is 10p x 2 x 12 = £2.40 which is the maximum the heater will use, so 30 days is £72.

Assuming the thermostat cuts out from time to time, I would assume £1.50 a day, so £45 a month.

I had a lodger who set the fan heater I gave her to maximum (35 degrees), and complained that it kept cutting out. Killed the heater in about a month. It smelled like a furnace when I got it back. She also kept setting the hallway thermostat to 25 degrees, so I was sweating when I come downstairs. She says warm clothing are too stifling. The last straw was she locked the front door by key when people are inside the house. I expained that if there's a fire, people need to be able to get out, not going back upstairs to find the key so they can get out. She was afraid of break-ins and wouldn't stop doing it. Otherwise a perfectly well behaved person.

You just have to accept some people are incompatible with you, and it's better that they move on. It's your house, so you are going nowhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport