comparing cost of ready mix and bags

Options
I will be laying a patio next month and I was wondering the guide cost of hiring a ready mix truck vs mixing it ourselves.

its approx 8 cubic metrics in london in the front garden.

any idea of the cost we should be looking at?

thanks
"enough is a feast"...old Buddist proverb

Comments

• Ebe_Scrooge
    Options
    Not quite sure I understand what you're trying to do. Are you laying a "traditional" patio, i.e. slabs of some sort laid on a bed of mortar ? If so you'll need to mix by hand - I didn't know you could get ready-mixed mortar delivered in bulk ( concrete, yes, but not mortar ), but in any case it would set before you had chance to lay all your slabs. When I say "By Hand", it's actually quite heavy work to mix mortar, it can be a wise investment to hire a mixer for the weekend - there speaks the voice ( and aching back ) of experience :-)

If you're talking about just laying an expanse of concrete, then a ready-mix delivery can make a lot of sense. You need to have the site prepared and all shuttering in place before-hand, so that you can finish levelling off etc. before the concerete sets. But it does save an awful lot of work in mixing, plus you get a consistent mix which is harder to get if mixing by hand.
  • bobhawke
    Options
    quote taken from pavingexpert.com
    0.25m³ of fresh, unset concrete weighs in at around two-thirds of a tonne, and that two-thirds of a tonne will need to be turned over at least 5 times to ensure all the ingredients, the sand, cement, gravel and water, are thoroughly mixed. Two-thirds of a tonne lifted and turned 5 times comes in at over 3 tonnes ... and that's a minimum figure!

Minimum of 12 ton of lifting for 1m3 of concrete, multiply that by 8 for your area and that is 96 ton of lifting to mix it by hand.
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    Perhaps a little more info on the project might well be useful.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    8 cubic mtrs of ready mix is one hell a lot of concrete.
    are you sure youve measured correctly?
    Get some gorm.
  • aboard_epsilon
    aboard_epsilon Posts: 546 Forumite
    edited 30 September 2010 at 9:31PM
    Options
    well he's said 8 cubic metres ..it isn't slabs ..

that would be something like 10 tons dry.

bags of concrete is very expensive compared with ready mix delivered by mixer truck

sand and gravel delivered separately with bags of cement ..would be cheaper than ready mix ..but when you look at the work involved in mixing 10 tons of it it ..id think again ..thats 10 dry ..maybe 12 or 13 wet

also don't know what they charge down London way ..i know that up here in north wales a friend did a base for a shed ..with a portable mixer ..and it saved him about 30 percent over having it delivered ready-mixed mixer wagon...but that was only 4 cubic metres...and it looked like very hard work ..5 hours of hard work .

all the best.markj
  • square_bear
    Options
    theGrinch wrote: »
    I will be laying a patio next month and I was wondering the guide cost of hiring a ready mix truck vs mixing it ourselves.

its approx 8 cubic metrics in london in the front garden.

any idea of the cost we should be looking at?

thanks

Do you mean that the patio area is 8 square metres?
  • theGrinch
    theGrinch Posts: 3,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    thanks all. we've decided to go with bags and a dry mix with option of a mixer and manpower - just need the weather to be dry!
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    out of interest, is it 8 cube or 8 square metres?
  • theGrinch
    theGrinch Posts: 3,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    vaio wrote: »
    out of interest, is it 8 cube or 8 square metres?

8 cubic metres
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    8 cubic metres is a lot of concrete to mix, I don’t envy you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing