Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Transfer of season ticket over to another line

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
4 replies 604 views
samwoolfsamwoolf Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
I currently commute from a town called Rayleigh into London Liverpool Street for a mere £2988 a year (season ticket) on the East Anglia National Express Line - the ticket it valid until 7 April 2011....I am moving to Upminster and am going to be using the C2C line from Upminster to Fenchurch Street. I would also like use of the London buses. I believe that £1,900 is the price for this new ticket for a year and it is a straight travel card as it is from zones 1-6.

Here is my dilema, do I get a refund on my season card and then start over with a yearly travel card from upminster zone 6 to Fenchurch Zone 1? Which I believe I would lose a fair wack of money on; or

Do I transfer over my ticket over to a travel card and then renew once it runs out in April?

The reason I ask is because I don't want to lose money or I want to lose as little as possible. I think doing a ticket transfer should be the best way to do it, I just want to make sure that it will be transferred over to a travel card? If so I would like it put on to my oyster card for sheer ease of use.

Does anyone on here know what the best bet is or have any knowledge on it? I have called national rail who were as helpful as a chocolate teapot. I need to go into my local train station which I wont have a chance to do until next week but until then I am wondering what to do.

Thanks.

Replies

• I'm not 100% sure but I believe you would have to get a refund on the remaining bit of your existing ticket and then buy a new one.

Is it the same train operator for both?
  • surreysaversurreysaver Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't get a refund - that will cost you more. You can get it swapped over to your new ticket. It would be the price you paid divided by 365 multiplied by the number of days you have used it for, and the same with the price that applied when you bought your original ticket for your new one.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • vaiovaio Forumite
    12.3K Posts
    Are you sure about that?

If true it’s an uncharacteristically sensible bit of thinking from the companies involved given they normally regard tickets issued by competitors with the distain reserved for brown floaty things in swimming pools.

I have thought that with the delightfully fragmented nature of the rail industry the OP would have to cash in the East Anglia National Express Line ticket (and pay an enhance rate for the time it’s been used and probably an admin fee too) and then buy a new C2C/travel card ticket.

This is the industry that recently tried to fine someone £150 because he got off a stop before he should have.
    Dangermac wrote: »
    I agree with you......

DM
  • surreysaversurreysaver Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I'm sure. Its a proceedure that comes from a time before the industry was fragmented.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
This discussion has been closed.