swimming - hat or not?

Options
I am just about to start going swimming again, after a few years off - I need to lose some weight and get fit again. I used to swim 2 or 3 times a week and loved it.

I have ordered a new cossie... and whilst I am a bit wary of uncovering my flabby bits in public, it has got to be done... however, I am wondering whether a swim hat / cap is worthwhile?

I havent worn one since school, but I am wondering whether they offer any protection to coloured hair from chlorene?

If so, what sort is the best / most comfortable type to wear?

Comments

• cattkitt
    Options
    I have long hair, and my fashion mad friend can always tell when I've been swimming, so I guess that that's a "Yes" for wearing caps!

I recently ordered a silicone cap off eBay. £2.50 with a choice of 8 colours, inclusive of postage from Hong Kong. I recommend it.

It was a wee bit tight when I first put it on, so simply stretched it over a box I had for a couple of hours. The other vaguely amusing thing is that it gives me a facelift.

When I go swimming, I douse my hair in rosemary infused sunflower oil(pour oil in pyrex bowl, microwave for 2 minutes, cut rosemary from garden, bung in hot oil, leave for 12-48 hours, pour into a plastic bottle for taking to the pool), and then put the swim cap on. Et voila, 1.5 hours of hair treatment when I'm doing something else!
  • foreign_correspondent
    Options
    ooh that is a good idea - and I have loads of rosemary in the garden! Does it actually seal well enough to keep the hair treatment in, and the chloriney water out then?
  • Bean_Counter
    Options
    I go swimming quite a lot and the only people that I see are those in proper swim caps belting up and down the pool. When I am in the leisure pool with the kids I can't recall ever seeing anyone in a hat. However there are always plenty of people (men & women) with flabby bits so go for it.
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life
  • foreign_correspondent
    Options
    yeah, I don't go in the leisure pool, I only go to swim, so I dont mind that. And I know you are right, whenever I go swimming, I do worry a bit - then I get there, and look at everyone else, and wonder why I was worried!
  • Bean_Counter
    Options
    yeah, I don't go in the leisure pool, I only go to swim, so I dont mind that. And I know you are right, whenever I go swimming, I do worry a bit - then I get there, and look at everyone else, and wonder why I was worried!

Good luck with the swimming, some of the best exercise you get as far as I am concerned.
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life
  • cattkitt
    Options
    ooh that is a good idea - and I have loads of rosemary in the garden! Does it actually seal well enough to keep the hair treatment in, and the chloriney water out then?

Yes, it does for the most part. My "sideburn" bits stick out of the cap. I don't do much underwater diving though, just swim up and down the pool for 1.5 hours. But I think that even if water got in, because the hair is already saturated with oil, the water would have a bit of a job getting into the hair.
  • marrowgirl
    Options
    I'm a swimming cap girl too. I may look a muppet (I am not in great shape to say the least) but otherwise my hair takes on a green tinge and becomes quite porous.
    I use a deep conditioner then pop on the cap. Coconut oil is great, inexpensive and smells yummy too. You'll be fine unless you swim much underwater or do tumbleturns as then even with a cap on the water seeps in.
    If your hair does go a bit green cover with tomato sauce then rinse - it gets rid of it a treat (the green colour, not your hair!). I'd also recommend a good shampoo like Sun & Swim which removes the chlorine (from Superdrug & Sainsburys amongst other shops)

x
    "I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown
  • chris_n_tj
    chris_n_tj Posts: 2,659 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    FC hows about one of those flowered type one lol. That is if you are old enough to remember them.

Hahah FC hope you are laughing, I couldnt resist when I saw the thread.

Chris n TJ xxx
    RIP TJ. You my be gone, but never forgotten. Always in our hearts xxx
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader.
    He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
  • belfastgirl23
    Options
    Many pools insist you wear a hat to stop hair clogging up the filters :) Mine is like this. The hat doesn't keep my hair dry at all but does keep it out of my eyes :)
  • foreign_correspondent
    Options
    chris_n_tj wrote: »
    FC hows about one of those flowered type one lol. That is if you are old enough to remember them.

Hahah FC hope you are laughing, I couldnt resist when I saw the thread.

Chris n TJ xxx

oh god!! That brings back a memory - at school, in the 1980s my mum got me a swimming hat like this:

U137044_t_thumb_white_hedgehog_1.jpg

I would quite like one now - it could look 'retro' - but at the time, it was the heigh of old-biddyness!:o I never was the coolest kid at school! lol

In the end I went and got a black speedo silicon one today, and went swimming tonight.. all was good, but after 6 lengths I was knackered, and stopped for a break - I got chatting to the older lady next to me, who said 'oh, I only do 40 then I get out!' - she shamed me onto doing a few more, but I only managed 12!

...Still havent swam for a few years, but I will keep going and build it up gradually!

Thanks for all the advice folks, I am going to try putting something on my hair as a treatment under the cap - its a great idea!

I do look a pillock in it, but who cares!

The only problem I have now is finding my way round without groping random old men... I cant see a thing without my specs on!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure