Mortgage Interest Support

Options
I have just been sent the MI12 form from the DWP, completed it and sent it to my lender.

As I understand you do not get any mortgage interest help for the first 13 weeks and I think this is in case you manage to find another job in that period. When they calculate what help I will get with my mortgage do they back date the payments to the start of my claim or do they only help with payments from week 13 onwards.

I cannot get a straight answer from the DWP so does anyone out there who has claimed MIS and has their mortgage being paid know what will happen please?

Comments

• amani_2
    Options
    Hi I have claimed this in the past and they dont back date it they pay it from 13 weeks onwards. I dont know why you cant get a straight answer from DWP though.

hope that helps
  • MrsBartolozzi
    Options
    Once they have processed the claim, you will get your first payment made directly to your lender 4 weeks after you've claimed for 13 weeks. Then every 4 weeks after as it's paid 4 weeks in arrears. Just wanted to point this out as it may not be clear - you need to placate your lender for 17 weeks before it gets anything from DWP, also the payments being every 4 weeks (ie not a full month) means you'll also need to organise the small amount extra you'll need to pay per month if your lender works on a calendar month.

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
  • tcr_3
    tcr_3 Posts: 580 Forumite
    Options
    Once they have processed the claim, you will get your first payment made directly to your lender 4 weeks after you've claimed for 13 weeks. Then every 4 weeks after as it's paid 4 weeks in arrears. Just wanted to point this out as it may not be clear - you need to placate your lender for 17 weeks before it gets anything from DWP, also the payments being every 4 weeks (ie not a full month) means you'll also need to organise the small amount extra you'll need to pay per month if your lender works on a calendar month.

I'm not nit picking but that's not strictly correct.

DWP payments are made using a four week cycle. They don't pay everyone's mortgage in the same week, they stagger the load over four weeks.

What week your own payments are allotted are determined by your national insurance number. So your first payment could be made at week 14, or weeks 15, 16 or 17, it all depends on your own national insurance number.

Their mortgage payments are issued to lenders on Mondays. It can take anything up to 5 working days for that money to get into your mortgage account, depending on who your lender is, that needs to be factored in too.

All that assumes yours is a "Qualifying Lender" i.e. one which requires the DWP to pay directly. Some lenders haven't opted into the DWP scheme because DWP charge them for each payment sent directly, in which case DWP will pay the interest money to the customer and it's up to them to make the payments.
    I no longer contribute to the Benefits & Tax Credits forum.
  • MrsBartolozzi
    MrsBartolozzi Posts: 6,358 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Oh thanks for that tcr, I didn't know.
    Mine went in exactly 4 weeks after my 13th week and so I expected this to be the same for others. I suppose the 17 week thing is the worst case scenario though, and that's just what I wanted to highlight as it's not made really clear (at least wasn't for me) when I was told about it right back at the beginning. I was hoping I would be working by the time SMI kicked in and I suppose sort of assumed that it would be paid sooner than it was. Luckily my exOH helped me out, but most won't have that option.

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family