Entitled to Housing Benefit when on Half Pay?

Options
Hiya
Im asking some advice for my mum
Shes currently on sick pay (Health Care Assistant - NHS) and has been for 5 months, after 6 months she will go on Half Pay

Will she be entitled to anything when on half pay

She is single, but I live at home (Im 24, I Claim DLA - High Rate Mobility, Low Care and WTC and work 16 hours a week)

Ive had a quick look at some sites, but not sure really, used an online calculatior on my local councils website about non-dependants, but due to my DLA etc now sure how my income is taken into account.

She gets 25% CT reduction (2nd adult rebate) at the moment

Also should she still be getting Tax Credits - she used to work 28 hrs a week, but as shes on sick, but still getting paid for these hours, should the WTC be stopped or not?

Sorry for all the questions!
Make £10 a day Challenge June - £170

Comments

• Kwerner
    Options
    KrazyKel wrote: »
    Hiya
    Im asking some advice for my mum
    Shes currently on sick pay (Health Care Assistant - NHS) and has been for 5 months, after 6 months she will go on Half Pay

Will she be entitled to anything when on half pay

She is single, but I live at home (Im 24, I Claim DLA - High Rate Mobility, Low Care and WTC and work 16 hours a week)

Ive had a quick look at some sites, but not sure really, used an online calculatior on my local councils website about non-dependants, but due to my DLA etc now sure how my income is taken into account.

She gets 25% CT reduction (2nd adult rebate) at the moment

Also should she still be getting Tax Credits - she used to work 28 hrs a week, but as shes on sick, but still getting paid for these hours, should the WTC be stopped or not?

Sorry for all the questions!

Yes, changes in income should be reported to WTC office. You may find that the tax credits will actually increase, however, as WTC is taken into account for HB purposes, it may make little difference to the net result. It all depends on how much the rent is and whether the half pay manages to pay the full rent whilst leaving the amount of money the govt has decided a person needs to live from.
  • Sam____2
    Options
    If there are 2 working adults in the household I don't understand why there is the 25% discount? is it to do with DLA?
    I'm pretty sure they will take into account for LHA the fact that you are working and bringing in money, so should be paying a propotion of the rent. I'm sure someone with more knowledge of LHA/CTB will be along to advise.
  • karenx
    karenx Posts: 4,988 Forumite
    Options
    If she is single and no other children bar you then the hours you need to work for WTC is 30hours per week so she shouldnt of even been getting that at all!
  • Sam____2
    Options
    karenx wrote: »
    If she is single and no other children bar you then the hours you need to work for WTC is 30hours per week so she shouldnt of even been getting that at all!

I don't think the mum is claiming WTC, the daughter who lives with her is and is entitled to claim whilst working 16 hours as she is disabled/on DLA
  • KrazyKel
    Options
    She gets 25% CT Discount due to low income of 2nd adult (me)
    I Claim WTC and So does my mum (hers is a long term ongoing disability) but only a little WTC Due to her income anyway
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    If you are working sixteen hours, she should not be getting a 25% discount for you. She should be getting 15% at most.

http://www.tmbc.gov.uk/cgi-bin/buildpage.pl?mysql=2397
    Gone ... or have I?
  • KrazyKel
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »
    If you are working sixteen hours, she should not be getting a 25% discount for you. She should be getting 15% at most.

http://www.tmbc.gov.uk/cgi-bin/buildpage.pl?mysql=2397

Ohh Ok ill get her to check, assumed it was 25% but will get her to look at the CT letter later :)
  • themull1
    themull1 Posts: 4,299 Forumite
    Options
    normally the pay is made up with statutory sick pay, you need to contact jc+ office.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure