Are we able to get benefits?

Options
Hi,

First post, but been looking round the site for ages and love it! But now I have an issue, so I thought I would come here for advice.
I am a full time university student, and at the start of this academic year, my boyfriend moved in with me. He is not a student, and has just started work.
He isnt on a fixed amount of hours, but it looks like it could normally be under 16 per week, so we have started looking into whether he can get income support.
Before he found a job here, and tried to apply for JSA, we were told he could not get it, as I am technically his 'partner', and I have savings of over £16,000, is this going to apply to income support, and other benefits? If so, I dont see how this is fair, I should'nt have to support him, just because I have savings, sorry for the moan, but I just dont understand it.

Hope people can help, or just give us a little advice.

Comments

• Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's the same for all benefits like that, yes.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • dookar
    dookar Posts: 1,654 Forumite
    Options
    fififi12 wrote: »
    If so, I dont see how this is fair, I should'nt have to support him, just because I have savings

I hope to God you're reasonably thick-skinned.

Anyways, yes the same would apply to Income Support. But you're jumping ahead of yourself here, from what you've said their is no condition of entitlement to IS.
  • dazzadub
    Options
    any claim he makes with include you as you live together, if you didnt live together it would be different,

as joint claim everything you have is taken into account
  • savings of 16k or over will stop you getting any means tested benefits,and rightly so
    as a full time student i assume you get a student loan/grant and bursary and that your partner working 16 hours earns around £100 a week,what more do you need?
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    fififi12 wrote: »
    Hi,

First post, but been looking round the site for ages and love it! But now I have an issue, so I thought I would come here for advice.
    I am a full time university student, and at the start of this academic year, my boyfriend moved in with me. He is not a student, and has just started work.
    He isnt on a fixed amount of hours, but it looks like it could normally be under 16 per week, so we have started looking into whether he can get income support.
    Before he found a job here, and tried to apply for JSA, we were told he could not get it, as I am technically his 'partner', and I have savings of over £16,000, is this going to apply to income support, and other benefits? If so, I dont see how this is fair, I should'nt have to support him, just because I have savings, sorry for the moan, but I just dont understand it.

Hope people can help, or just give us a little advice.

You are treated as a couple for benefit purposes and as said he will not get IS.

It seems perfectly fair to me that you should (partly) support him as that is what couples are supposed to do.
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    As others have said, your partner will not be entitled to IS and you will be expected to support him. If he is only working 16 hours a week or less, could he get another part time job? Many retailers are taking on Christmas staff at the moment.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    You choose to live together as partners -therefore your income and savings are regarded as joint.

If you don't want to support him then ask him to move out.

Honestly it's really that simple.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills