Tax credits backdating

Options
Hello all,

I've just claimed tax credits for the first time, looks like I'll be receiving the princely sum of 10.29 a week!

I've just noticed on the main site though, that they can be backdated for up to three months, does anyone know if this is done automatically or do I have to ask for it at the time of my claim? Nobody I've spoken to on the phone has mentioned it and I'm not sure I can face going on hold and going through the whole process again :eek:

Thanks

Comments

• cazj80
    cazj80 Posts: 327 Forumite
    Options
    From personal experience, you have to ask for it, I was advised to put a letter with my claim form when sending it after having my daughter asking them to backdate my claim to the birth of my daughter (which was 6 weeks previous).

HTH
  • mrshappy
    Options
    As far as I know you have to ask for it, it is not done automatically, although it is fairly straightforward as they have your details already. happy holding!!!!
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ah well, back to the phone in the morning! Thanks all.
  • Murgatroyd21
    Options
    Yes you have to request it. Don't forget, it can only be backdates as long as you were entitled at the date you request backdating to. If your entitlement is due to a child being born for example, you can't ask for backdating beyond the date of birth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure