Forum Home» Marriage, Relationships & Families

First Baby on way, what to do ...........?

New Post Advanced Search

First Baby on way, what to do ...........?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Marriage, Relationships & Families
26 replies 2.3K views
ffacoffipawbffacoffipawb Forumite
3.6K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Marriage, Relationships & Families
This is all new to us. First baby and all that.

What months do we do what, eg apply to get child benefit / tax credits / anything else from birth in 6 months time?

Thanks

Excited Brian

Replies

• trutru Forumite
    9.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    My kids are teens now, but when no.1 was born, we registered him first, then applied for everything straight away. Can't comment on tax credits, they weren't around at the time. I'll see if I can find anything for you.
    Bulletproof
  • trutru Forumite
    9.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Go to the main site, then type "tax credits" in the search. It's the second article. I tried to copy the address, but for some reason it wouldn't work ::)
    Bulletproof
  • You should receive a 'Bounty Bag' when you are in hospital having had you baby. This should include (amongst lots of freebies and vouchers!) a form for your child benefit. I had my last baby 18 months ago, just before tax credits so can't be sure about that. You can't apply for anything until your baby has arrived as you will need his/her date of birth!
    Good luck with your baby.
  • Couple of other things I just thought of (!). Remind your good lady that she is still entitled to free dental treatment for a year after the baby is born (I didn't know that until I went for my checkup when my baby was 13 months old - doh!). If you are lucky enough to be goin gon a foreign holiday this summer you will need to get a passport for your baby - have fun getting the photo.
  • Yoga_GirlYoga_Girl Forumite
    888 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I applied for tax credits as soon as I could after baby was born, I think you have to wait until after the birth to apply.
  • Yoga_GirlYoga_Girl Forumite
    888 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Forgot to add - there is a good website which has a lot of info on benefits, maternity rights etc

https://www.maternityalliance.org.uk/
  • minimini Forumite
    833 posts
    Congratulations excited Brian  ;D

May be worth looking at Sure start, there are maternity grants in some circumstances of  £500 if I remember correctly, worth investigating, also worth checking out what Surestart offer locally, I know in some areas they will make your house safe with child safety gates and cupboard locks without any charge, you wont need those just yet though!

http://www.surestart.gov.uk/communications/surestartfaq/

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefits/sure_start_maternity_grant.asp
  • mistral_2mistral_2 Forumite
    150 posts
    Remember to register at Pampers online and get everyone you know to do the same .

You will get £4 of vouchers .

That is unless you want to try the eco friendly route
    'The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides with the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and good will shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon those with great vengeance and with furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.
  • jo_b_2jo_b_2 Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Make sure you sign up to the BabiesRUs club (part of ToysRUs.)  They send you loads of magazines and vouchers throughout your pregnancy and afterwards.  They are one of the cheapest places for cots, car seats etc, etc, especially with the money off vouchers.

You can usually get a catalogue free with the many baby/pregnancy mags around and sign up using the form at the back. You can also sign up online.

http://www.toysrus.co.uk/framestatic.aspx/Controls/Global/MotherAndBabyClub.ascx?zone=Bru

Also join Sainsbury's Little Ones Club, Tesco Baby Club etc.
  • SarahsaverSarahsaver Forumite
    8.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    They give you the form for child benefit when you go and register the birth, and it does come through fairly quickly, unlike most other state benefits in my experience!
    Is the mum to be getting free folic acid supplements?
    If you are on a low income you can get vitamins and milk vouchers too, until your child is 5.
    Several local authorities provide free or heavily discounted washable nappies.
    You can have a family railcard even though the littlun is under 5 you can still get rail fares cheaper.
    If you go abroad go to Spain where they LOVE children, took my daughter there aged 10 months.
    Good luck, ask if you need any more hints, I know what im doing now Ive had 3 kids, i wish id have had this site to help when i had the first ;)
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support