Does My Work Rate Equal Possible Benefit

Options
I work in casual employment, work is provided on an as and when basis, and I do not receive work in any kind of pre meditated structure.

I am paid calender monthly, and I could earn £400 pre tax for a week's work and then not earn anything else for the rest of that month, effectively meaning my month's payment is £400. I could work for three weeks solid and then do nothing for the next three.

It all depends on the regularity of the companies business and I have no control over this but I am currently seeking another employment.

Because I am classed as Casual in my Employment, if I receive no work (or if I fail to claim) for an extended period of time (a few months), my contract will expire and I will have to reapply for the position.

I live with a non dependant who pays rent and Council Tax and earns an average of £1300 per month post tax.

Am I entitled to claim for Council Tax Benefit or reduced Income Support for myself?

Comments

• Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you have any children? How old are you & your partner? Do you or your partner have savings?
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • Sam____2
    Options
    when you say you live with a non dependant do you mean your partner?
  • CannotFindHelp
    Options
    Sam___ wrote: »
    when you say you live with a non dependant do you mean your partner?

I do not live with a partner, I do not have a partner, I do not have any children and I am 25
  • Sam____2
    Options
    Then why would you include their wages and why would you know what their wages are if your not in a relationship? bit odd

to answer your question, no you wouldn't be entitled to income support as your neither a single parent a carer or ill.
    You could try applying for LHA for help towards your "share" of the rent, and you could always try for council tax benefit but wether or not your entitled is up to the LA to decide.
    If your working less than 16 hours in a week then you can still claim JSA, just inform then as and when you are working when you go to sign on and they can advise you what you may be entitled to if anything
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure