Housing Benefit

Options
I have a daughter who is a single mum who is living at our house with her daugter - she is 21 and working. She has been awarded Working Tax Credits and Child Tax Credit. My daughter is transferring money into my wife's account to pay her rent to us. My question is: Can my daughter claim for HB for paying her parents rent.

Comments

• babymoo
    babymoo Posts: 3,187 Forumite
    Options
    I think the answer is more than likely not. Because she has dependants it might be different but I can't see that it will. I think they will view that she is living with her parents therefore should be rent free.
  • fluffymovie
    Options
    Sorry, not entirely clear on your question.

If your daughter has a liability to pay rent on accommodation she occupies, she can claim Local Housing Allowance.

If you have rent to pay and your daughter is paying it for you, you could claim LHA but she could not.

If the accommodation that she rents is owned by you, she could claim LHA but the council would have to check that she has a commercial tenancy and not one set up to take advantage of the scheme.

If you could give more information about the situation, we may be able to advise in more detail
    I currently manage a Housing Benefit service and have been working in Housing / council tax benefit (as was) since 2001.

All views expressed in my posts are my own opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.
  • maxcars1
    Options
    Sorry, not entirely clear on your question.

If your daughter has a liability to pay rent on accommodation she occupies, she can claim Local Housing Allowance.

If you have rent to pay and your daughter is paying it for you, you could claim LHA but she could not.

If the accommodation that she rents is owned by you, she could claim LHA but the council would have to check that she has a commercial tenancy and not one set up to take advantage of the scheme.

If you could give more information about the situation, we may be able to advise in more detail

Sorry for the confusion its just that a colleague form work said there may be a possible claim. my daughter and granddaugter are living with me, so wasnt sure if my daughter could calim HB as she transfers her rent we charge her into our account every month.
  • Jowo_2
    Jowo_2 Posts: 8,308 Forumite
    Options
    Housing benefit (local housing allowance) isn't payable when the tenant lives in the same property as their landlord who is a close relative

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/paying_for_a_home/housing_benefit_and_local_housing_allowance/housing_benefit_if_renting_from_a_family_member#0
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure