We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Eco Heaters

Options
Boiler system has bit the Schnitzel and its time to upgrade. Not overly keen on the radiator/ boiler system that it seems i am doomed to receive. I have looked into the Eco Heater panel system thing and it seems ok...now i have to convince the wife that its viable, eco and cheap on the electric use front. Has anyone got any input, idea's or experience on this matter?

love, light and peace

Haz....

Comments

• Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As most electrical heaters are 100% effecient (or near as dammit), I'm not sure how this heater can be more efficient???

The only "more efficient" methods are using things like heat pumps. They are not really any more efficient ... it's just they take heat that already exists, so you don't have to pay for it.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Electric heating is about as expensive as it gets.
    Panel heaters that run on day rate electricity are the worst offenders.
    Running an electric heating system will cost you around 66% more than an equivalent gas powered system.

All electric heaters are 100% efficient, don't be conned into paying over the odds for an Eco/Green/Environmental version, its just snake oil.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    penrhyn wrote: »
    Electric heating is about as expensive as it gets.
    Panel heaters that run on day rate electricity are the worst offenders.
    Running an electric heating system will cost you around 66% more than an equivalent gas powered system.

All electric heaters are 100% efficient, don't be conned into paying over the odds for an Eco/Green/Environmental version, its just snake oil.

Agree with the above posts although I would have expressed it as 300% - or three times - more than gas heating for electric panel heating.

Gas being around 3p/kWh and electricity 10p/kWh
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's only Eco if you are using a big wind turbine for your electricity.

Perhaps it is time for putting "Electric heaters can damage your wealth" on the package.
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Maths never was my strong point! 3 times more expensive is what I meant, my excuse is manflu!
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport