We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Swapping Gas & Elec Suppliers personally.

Options
Morning all,

My situation at the moment is that my current supplier EDF are, and have been for 2 years, billing me incorrectly. There has obviously been a mix up, and the meter serial numbers do not correspond to the house numbers, hence my incorrect bills. I have previously informed them of this, but still no change.

The question i have is; Can you change suppliers 'personally' i.e i ring EDF, tell them i wish to terminate my supply with them and provide them with a meter reading. Phone new supplier and instruct them to commence supply and provide meter reading.

I am aware that this is normally done by the prospective new supplier, who would liase with my existing supplier. However as EDF have proved to be so incompetent at remedying the above fault I have recognised an oppurtunity to save money and take advangtage of their incorrect (low) bills.

Is this plausable?

Thanks

Comments

• Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 September 2010 at 11:24AM
    Options
    You can't change supplier like that. You need to appoint a new supplier who will take over the existing supply.

I'm not certain you have discovered any way to save money. It may even cost you money in the long term as you are hopefully on the best deal already, so any change will cost you more.

Any error over the meter will continue until it's resolved. When it gets resolved, then that may go back to previous suppliers too.

If EDF have not taken up your complaint as you would like, I would suggest you escalate it in writing following the EDF complaints procedure
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport