laptop from hell...from dixons online...who offer nothing!!!!

Options
My son bought a Compaq laptop from Dixons online....he took it off for hsi study course, and it was trouble from day one. The snag was he really depended on it...and none of us realised how bad it was. It blued out failed, faltered, was endlessly slow, a real mess. It was sent back, and after a long delay was returned..no better. Same again...this time the fuzzy imprecise document referred to replaced hard drive...no better. I asked for a replacement. No, it had to go back three times. Fine, sent it back again. A few days before the guarantee ran out it was returned, " in perfect order", Dixons could find no fault. But it would not start up, failed, jammed as ever in a few minutes. Letter from Dixons after MONTHS!!!! saying would offer refund, PROVIDED it had not been returned. It had, as bad and useless as ever. When I phoned they said they were unable to write ( actually by now I can believe that) and no, I could not have the number of their legal department. Or contact them. But if I could confirm the faults through and independent engineer, they would replace the costs.

Has anyone ever come across this level of daylight theft? This was my son's hard earned cash....for which Dixons supplied absolute trash...and the slow sorry service with documents even the old communist block would have been ashamed of. Trading standards seem hesitant...any advice from anyone who has faced this sort of charming organisation?

richard aylward...in the depths of gloucestershire

Comments

• Greatgimp
    Greatgimp Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    Academoney Grad First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry, cannot give you any constructive info, but sick of hearing the same names - Dixons... Curries... Argos... over and over again. Why do we allow these companies to keep selling us stuff?
  • laguini
    Options
    My son bought a Compaq laptop from Dixons online....he took it off for hsi study course, and it was trouble from day one. The snag was he really depended on it...and none of us realised how bad it was. It blued out failed, faltered, was endlessly slow, a real mess. It was sent back, and after a long delay was returned..no better. Same again...this time the fuzzy imprecise document referred to replaced hard drive...no better. I asked for a replacement. No, it had to go back three times. Fine, sent it back again. A few days before the guarantee ran out it was returned, " in perfect order", Dixons could find no fault. But it would not start up, failed, jammed as ever in a few minutes. Letter from Dixons after MONTHS!!!! saying would offer refund, PROVIDED it had not been returned. It had, as bad and useless as ever. When I phoned they said they were unable to write ( actually by now I can believe that) and no, I could not have the number of their legal department. Or contact them. But if I could confirm the faults through and independent engineer, they would replace the costs.

Has anyone ever come across this level of daylight theft? This was my son's hard earned cash....for which Dixons supplied absolute trash...and the slow sorry service with documents even the old communist block would have been ashamed of. Trading standards seem hesitant...any advice from anyone who has faced this sort of charming organisation?

richard aylward...in the depths of gloucestershire

I've heard some pretty bad things about Dixons but telling a customer not to contact them... that's pretty bad. Have you tried calling Consumer Direct? It's a government helpline that can advise you in matters like this.And I think I remember hearing of people who had issues like this and they took the company to the small claims court and got it resolved, I think in some cases the company would settle just before they actually went to court. But unfortunately I'm not that clued up on it, as I've never done it myself.....hope you get it sorted though, sounds very annoying.
  • djb215
    djb215 Posts: 412 Forumite
    Options
    When did you purchase the laptop? How much was paid?

If it was longer than 6 months ago, the seller does have the right to ask you to provide evidence that the fault was present at manufacture/time of sale (research the Sale of Goods Act, "Reversal of Burden of Proof").

From now on deal with them only by writing, and send recorded delivery. If they do not respond, it will give you a bigger 'stockpile' of evidence to show that they are unwilling to help.
    [DISCLAIMER: Any posts made by myself are my opinions and do not represent my employer]

God put me on Earth to acomplish a certain number of things.
    Right now I am so far behind I will probably never be allowed to die!
  • fozmcfc
    fozmcfc Posts: 3,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 29 September 2010 at 9:06PM
    Options
    Greatgimp wrote: »
    Sorry, cannot give you any constructive info, but sick of hearing the same names - Dixons... Curries... Argos... over and over again. Why do we allow these companies to keep selling us stuff?

What a stupid post.

The vast and I mean vast majority of purchases from these stores go without even the smallest hitch.

These companies are selling hundereds of thousands if not a few million products a year, of course some purchases are going to go wrong.

If everyone who purchase and didn't have a problem posted, it would easily outweight those that went wrong.
  • Esqui
    Esqui Posts: 3,414 Forumite
    Options
    fozmcfc wrote: »
    What a stupid post.

Quite, I was going to add "Why do I allow myself to sell to customers like that poster" but that may have been a bit far to go :D
    Squirrel!
    If I tell you who I work for, I'm not allowed to help you. If I don't say, then I can help you with questions and fixing products. Regardless, there's still no secret EU law.
    Now 20% cooler
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport