🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Reclaim PPI first letter

Options
Hi, does anyone have a template letter I could use to go with the Questionnaire that you first send off when asking for a refund for PPI?

I took out my loan online and am struggling to word the letter giving reasons why I want a refund for the insurance. Would it be enough to say that the opt in box was already ticked for the insurance? I can't remember whether it would let me proceed or not without having the box ticked.

Thanks.

Comments

• di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    Pixie12 wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone have a template letter I could use to go with the Questionnaire that you first send off when asking for a refund for PPI?

I took out my loan online and am struggling to word the letter giving reasons why I want a refund for the insurance. Would it be enough to say that the opt in box was already ticked for the insurance? I can't remember whether it would let me proceed or not without having the box ticked.

Thanks.

Hi and welcome

The reclaiming questionnaire replaced the first letter reclaiming template, but if you have further info to give where it did not give you the opportunity on the questionnaire its best to write to the best of your knowledge in your own words.

For example:

Dear Sir/Madam

Account number: XXXXXXXXXX

I have enclosed a Questionnaire in order to make a reclaim on the Payment Protection Insurance (PPI).

I have listed my reasons on the questionnaire, but feel I have further information to give.

When I purchased the policy, the PPI was already ticked on the application.
    (if this applies to you):
    The policy was not discussed with me, so therefore I assumed it was all part of the loan/Credit card.
    (Then if the policy was worthles to you) give them reasons why.
    (Maybe you were unemployed, or already covered by your employer, or you had a pre med condition when taking out the policy, therefore you would not have been eligible to make a claim for this reason).

Then end it with, you will appreciate it if they considered your reasons and refund you all you paid of PPI and Interest and look forward to hearing from them by 8 weeks.

Yours sincerely

(That is just an example above, but write what relates to you).;)

However, a letter is optional, and its up to you if you want to enclose this.

Good luck, please keep us informed, cheers.
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • Pixie12
    Options
    Thanks for your help really appreciate it. Should I enclose a copy of the original loan agreement as well?
  • di3004
    Options
    Pixie12 wrote: »
    Thanks for your help really appreciate it. Should I enclose a copy of the original loan agreement as well?

Your very welcome, and you can enclose a "copy only of your agreement if you want to too".;)
  • musashi10
    Options
    This is the one I have. Accompany it with list of the charges too + interest

Your name.
    Your address.

Their name.
    Their address.

DATE / MONTH / YEAR.

Dear Sirs,
    Account number:XXXXXXXX
    I am writing in relation to the above Payment Protection Insurance policy (PPI) which I believe was mis-sold to me. This PPI was added to the ( Hire purchase / Card / Credit card / Store card ).

During the sales process, you made no attempt to explain if this policy was entirely suitable for my own circumstances, let alone define if it was actually required at all. I am now fully aware that this PPI policy is without doubt surplus to my requirements. I have recently become aware of the mis-selling of PPI policies and I have knowledge of the recent investigations into PPI by the Citizens Advice Bureau, Competition Commission, Financial Services Authority and the Office of Fair Trading. I believe you have not treated me fairly for the following reasons:

( List the reasons that actually apply to you and delete the others that do not apply to you ).

The PPI was added without my knowledge.
    • I believed that the PPI was compulsory.
    • I was never informed that this PPI is only optional.
    • The PPI policy exclusions were never properly explained, so I was unable to make an informed decision as to whether this insurance was required or not.
    • I was never informed that if PPI was required I could purchase it elsewhere.
    • I was informed that I would have a better chance of getting the account if PPI was included.
    • I was led to believe that my application would have been rejected had I not included the PPI.
    • It was never explained that there are exclusions within the PPI policy clauses that could seriously affect any claim I made.
    • This PPI was unsuitable for myself because I was, and continue to be, in receipt of benefits for (name of benefit).
    • I was never made aware of any exclusions which related to pre-existing or on-going medical problems at the time of purchasing the PPI.
    • I was not asked whether I already had any existing (insurance / employer cover/benefits) that would cover the repayments.
    • It was never explained that there are restrictions for the (unemployed / self-employed / retired / certain age groups) of which I fall into.

Unless you can prove without doubt that this policy is fair, reasonable and suitable for my needs, I demand to be placed back into the position I would have been had this PPI policy not been included. In line with the FOS recommendations it is requested that the overall situation be restored as if PPI had never been included. I will therefore demand a full refund of all of my paid PPI premiums plus 8% interest from (inception date) to (todays date).

I look forward to your full and prompt response to this letter. However, if this matter is not settled favourably to myself within eight weeks of this letter I shall be contacting the (Financial Ombudsman Service / Finance Leasing Association) to investigate my complaint and I give you fair warning that I will not hesitate in taking the matter to the Courts if so required.

• susi
    susi Posts: 717 Forumite
    Options
    Can I ask where the questionaire is and do we just print it off. My daughter (a first time buyer) was told by the Estate Agents that set up her mortgage that she needed a PPI, I rang them up for her and explained that she didnt really need one as she got paid when she was off sick anyway. I was told by him that she wouldnt get a mortgage without it so she went ahead. Is she eligable for a claim do you think?
  • di3004
    Options
    susi wrote: »
    Can I ask where the questionaire is and do we just print it off. My daughter (a first time buyer) was told by the Estate Agents that set up her mortgage that she needed a PPI, I rang them up for her and explained that she didnt really need one as she got paid when she was off sick anyway. I was told by him that she wouldnt get a mortgage without it so she went ahead. Is she eligable for a claim do you think?

Hiya

Hopefully Dunstonh will be along to advise on this one for you soon, but the questionnaire you will need to complete to send to the ones who set this up is on the below link as stage one of reclaiming...
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance#reclaim

Good luck.
  • marshallka
    marshallka Posts: 14,585 Forumite
    Options
    susi wrote: »
    Was this a single premium PPI or just a monthly payment?
  • susi
    susi Posts: 717 Forumite
    edited 10 October 2010 at 11:32PM
    Options
    It was and still is a monthly payment, for some reason I cant read the questionaire its coming out all gobledygook lol!!!
  • di3004
    Options
    Wonder if its better if you try downloading from the FOS website for the ppi reclaiming questionnaire perhaps?
    If not I would ring them and ask them to post one out to you.
    http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/ppi/PPI-consumer-questionnaire.doc

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/contact/index.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills